Swift Brown Paint code?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Karl in NY

Swift Brown Paint code?

#1 Post by Karl in NY » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:26 am

Swift used a unique color brown paint for decades...anyone have the RAL or Pantone color code so I can have some locally mixed?

The company changed ownership fairly recently, and were useless when contacted.

lorez

Re: Swift Brown Paint code?

#2 Post by lorez » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:32 pm

Back in the day I had touch-up quantities of both colors, but they are long gone. There were never any paint codes offered. A paint store can match the color if you have something from which to start, but without that... no luck. Maybe you could get some bottles of model paint and mix your own. I've had some success in making some close matches.

Good luck,

lorez

Karl in NY

#3 Post by Karl in NY » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:45 pm

I'll be doing a complete restore, just as a hobby project, and local auto-body supplier can produce
aerosol lacquer, but will not guarantee an optical-match, and prefer to work with RAL or Pantone codes, which they do guarantee.

Current owners of Swift brand claim they acquired no documentation from previous corporate owners, and have moved from Japan to china.

The 'scope has sentimental value to me, the first non-toy I learned on, that actually had things like condenser lighting, mechanical stage, fine focus, and high-quality optics. I've used far higher quality ones on jobs since those days, but it will serve my home needs fine, especially after I "digiscope" it for HD monitor display.

lorez

#4 Post by lorez » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:36 pm

Over the years the Swift microscopes were produced in several different countries and more than several different factories. As the changes were made there were subtle changes in the paint colors; generally not enough to be noticed, but different enough that the serial numbers became necessary when ordering repair parts.

Have fun with your restoration.