Buying a Zeiss infinity ∞ microscope ?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Kalleboy

Buying a Zeiss infinity ∞ microscope ?

#1 Post by Kalleboy » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:22 am

Hello
When the first Zeiss infinity ∞ microscopes came to market ?
I have heard people say they are the best to get and ordinary light microscopes are worse than the infinity ones.

I'm planning to buy an old used Zeiss or similar infinity ∞ microscope. What models are good ?

einman

Re: Buying a Zeiss infinity ∞ microscope ?

#2 Post by einman » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:59 pm

You will get many responses so this is my opinion only The older models with 160 TL objectives are more readily available, less expensive and quality wise are no different in terms of optical quality assuming they were produced around the same time period. Used parts are readily available for the 160 TL models as well. IN addition with some minor exceptions 160 TL objectives are interchangeable between manufacturers. You may see some slight variations if not using the manufacturers corresponding eyepiece but even this tended to disappear in later years as most of the chromatic corrections were made entirely in the objective, this is most noticeable with the Nikon CF series of objectives.

I personally have used 160 TL objectives from Nikon, Olympus and Zeiss on my Leitz scopes using only Leitz eyepieces and saw little if any degradation of optical performance although others may comment differently. It all depends on what objectives with what eyepieces. There were differences in parfocality however. (Note: Is parfocality a word?)

I have been comparing compound scopes from various manufacturers having both infinity and 160 TL objectives. I see no advantage to the infinity objectives over the 160 TL for optical quality. That said the infinity system does have advantages when adding components between the objective and the tube lens or eyepiece. The cost of said components tend to be outside the budget of most amateur microscopists and thus another plus for the 160 TL scopes.

Again, personal opinion only, I have found no issue with owning 160 TL scopes when it comes to adding components. I own both infinity and 160 TL stands.

Given my response I am sure we will soon hear from those individuals loyal to one system or another. I am not "loyal" to a particular brand or technology and speak based on owning and evaluating dozens of stands.

If you take a look on this forum your will see some very beautiful photos taken utilizing brands across the board such as AO, B&L, Reichert, Zeiss etc. They represent both infinity and 160 TL technologies. I have been particularly impressed by the work performed on older AO infinity microscopes.

In short I would not limit your self to an infinity stand on the basis of superior optical quality.

Oktagon

Re: Buying a Zeiss infinity ∞ microscope ?

#3 Post by Oktagon » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:10 am

Fully agreed.