Opinions on Leitz Orthoplan sought

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
mrsonchus

Opinions on Leitz Orthoplan sought

#1 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:12 pm

Hi all, I wonder if you may help me out with some opinions or information please...

I'm considering the purchase of another 'scope - a used Leitz Orthoplan as pictured below, and wondered if anyone had any thoughts about the 'scope (in the seen brightfield configuration) or it's flexibility with future fittings such as different objectives and illumination methods for example?
I'm also very interested in this 'scope's stronger illumination - 100W I believe. It also appears to have the facility to have incidental illumination fitted.
orthoplan pic.jpg
orthoplan pic.jpg (30 KiB) Viewed 10222 times
Thanks all.
:)
Last edited by mrsonchus on Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John B

zzffnn

Re: Opinions on Leitz Orthoplan sought

#2 Post by zzffnn » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:57 pm

John B,

Have you read this article: http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/art ... oplan.html

All seem perfect. But it uses 170 mm tube length objectives. Though I heard eyepiece accounts for most of the tube length difference. Do look into that issue.

Otherwise, it seems to be a very modular system. Objective turret seems to be removable too?

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:04 am

Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

billben74

#4 Post by billben74 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:06 am

I've read up on these a little.
They seem very good scopes, at the time one of the best. Really wide field I believe. Probably last a century or two.
The only possible fly is that any future DIC upgrade is not likely as the DIC systems for these are bit like unicorns.
But they may well not bother you at all.

I had given them (I believe brunel have 2?) some thought but if I go down the switch to 160TL my current favourite is Zeiss aus Jena as it has lower cost DIC options.

lorez

#5 Post by lorez » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:05 am

I have one of those scopes and they are superb. I have not spent any time looking for parts, but the bright field setup I have is excellent.

lorez

mrsonchus

#6 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:52 am

Thanks for your superb advice fellows all - I knew you'd steer me right with this.

I think when I return from this week's holiday-in-the-hills that I'll 'invest in this vital piece of equipment for the lab ' and just plain treat myself! :D :)

Thanks all for your kind input as always. :)
John B

mrsonchus

#7 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:53 am

billben74 wrote:I've read up on these a little.
They seem very good scopes, at the time one of the best. Really wide field I believe. Probably last a century or two.
The only possible fly is that any future DIC upgrade is not likely as the DIC systems for these are bit like unicorns.
But they may well not bother you at all.

I had given them (I believe brunel have 2?) some thought but if I go down the switch to 160TL my current favourite is Zeiss aus Jena as it has lower cost DIC options.
Dash-it Bill - you caught me red-handed with my browser on the Brunel 'used-equipment' pages! :oops:
John B

Crater Eddie

#8 Post by Crater Eddie » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:34 pm

Oh, that looks good! You better not wait too long, someone might steal it out from under you!@
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

mrsonchus

#9 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:44 pm

Arggghhhh - nooooo, tomorrow morning I'm on the telephone to Brunel! :D :D :oops:
John B

billbillt

#10 Post by billbillt » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:55 pm

mrsonchus wrote:Arggghhhh - nooooo, tomorrow morning I'm on the telephone to Brunel! :D :D :oops:
Hi John B.,

Looks like a very wise choice in microscopes... It looks to be the best of the best..

BillT

mrsonchus

#11 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:10 pm

Hi Bill old friend - I shouldn't be spending that amount I know - but I don't drink or smoke and my Darling Wife has told me that she'll buy it herself if I don't!
What a woman! :D :D

I've a major makeover planned for the lab this year too - lots of bits & pieces can go as I used them as I was learning the basics and now know exactly what I do and don't need in the lab.

This year is very exciting - so many new projects and slide-sets planned, as well as a series of targeted studies and comparisons of course. Also I plan to get to grips with whole-mounts as a complementary source for the slide section sets. Exciting times ahead!

Meanwhile we're on holiday for a week in the hills of Yorkshire but still reading the forum every day of course - all my friends here seem to be working hard and posting some great stuff!. :D :D
John B

billbillt

#12 Post by billbillt » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:22 pm

mrsonchus wrote:Hi Bill old friend - I shouldn't be spending that amount I know - but I don't drink or smoke and my Darling Wife has told me that she'll buy it herself if I don't!
What a woman! :D :D

I've a major makeover planned for the lab this year too - lots of bits & pieces can go as I used them as I was learning the basics and now know exactly what I do and don't need in the lab.

This year is very exciting - so many new projects and slide-sets planned, as well as a series of targeted studies and comparisons of course. Also I plan to get to grips with whole-mounts as a complementary source for the slide section sets. Exciting times ahead!

Meanwhile we're on holiday for a week in the hills of Yorkshire but still reading the forum every day of course - all my friends here seem to be working hard and posting some great stuff!. :D :D
You deserve the best that money can buy.. Your mounts and work already are cutting edge to me, this powerful stand will just make your work and pics stellar!.. I am waiting to follow your highly interesting exploits this year.. Please share everything you do!...

The Best,
BillT

mrsonchus

#13 Post by mrsonchus » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:30 pm

Bill, you're a kind and generous fellow - thank you. :)

You'll never guess what happened....................... someone has bought one of the Leitz Orthoplan 'scopes from Brunel right out from under my nose! :o
BUT - the one they didn't buy is the one that I wanted - luckily! :P

So, it's mine (at least in a couple of weeks) - bought and paid for!

Can't wait to put it through it's paces - I'll let you know when it arrives - exciting times! :D :D :D

hmmm..... I wonder who bought the other one - I've been very lucky to still be able get the one I wanted (as in the picture above)...

As soon as I get the beauty I'll let you all know!

:)
John B

Crater Eddie

#14 Post by Crater Eddie » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:19 pm

Dang, I got the wrong one! Er.. uh... I mean... whew, that was a close shave!
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

mrsonchus

#15 Post by mrsonchus » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:23 pm

CE
:D :D
John B

75RR

#16 Post by 75RR » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:30 pm

So, it's mine (at least in a couple of weeks) - bought and paid for!
Congratulations! Looking forward to photos of it and of course of your review.

einman

#17 Post by einman » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:44 am

The orthoplan is a beautiful scope. I was searching for a good one when I came across my Diaplan. You will be pleased. The Diaplan is my favorite scope. The Orthoplan was considered the flagship for many years until the introduction of the Aristoplan. My Diaplan is one notch below the Aristoplan. The Orthoplan is verrry nice!. Excellent choice!!!

rnabholz

#18 Post by rnabholz » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:30 am

Congratulations John,. It is a great looking scope, and reviews are certainly good.

Can't wait to see what will come from it in your capable hands.

Rod

75RR

#19 Post by 75RR » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:13 am

After a little more reading it sounds ever more impressive!
I am getting impatient as well :)

billben74

#20 Post by billben74 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:39 pm

Congratulations mrsonchus!

Will be all eyes as I have been considering a switch to finite system main brand from chinese 'scope.

I will be very interested to see what you think as this will help inform me (and no doubt many others who no doubt contemplate this switch).

Culicoides

#21 Post by Culicoides » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:04 pm

Dear John, Congratulations on your purchase. I too have one of these and can confirm that they are "rolls-Royce" instruments; although on saying this I have no experience with the other big names. Mine was (is) used for insect work and thus is almost always low-power.
I also have a leitz variotube with mine; I wonder if anyone also has experience of one? It allows you to zoom in up to x3, and reverses the field of view so that in moving the slide left to right the image moves the same way. I found this invaluable.
I have a canon 1200d attached to the trinocular port via a canon extension tube, a reducing ring and a Brunel universal adapter (you need a sleeve 25-30 mm on the port). I'll look forward to hearing of your experiences via the forum.

mrsonchus

#22 Post by mrsonchus » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:46 pm

billben74 wrote:Congratulations mrsonchus!

Will be all eyes as I have been considering a switch to finite system main brand from chinese 'scope.

I will be very interested to see what you think as this will help inform me (and no doubt many others who no doubt contemplate this switch).
Hi Bill, thanks old chap. Exciting times ahead in the lab! I must say that my Chinese 'SP200' from Brunel gives me beautifully crisp and bright images, but I find the infinity-optics restrictive in that additional objectives, parts, condensers etc seem very hard to not only come across and afford, but to be confident that they will all form a matching optical system. I know so little about infinity systems, as it seems do most purveyors of microscope parts.

Also there's the little phase-contrast 'scope I bought some time back (a Swift), the sheer quality of manufacture, immediately apparent when the course/fine focus are used, was a real eye-opener for me. It's overall build quality, sturdiness and smoothness of operation showed me that older instruments are in these respects definitely (far) superior to the brand-new Chinese 'scopes, although these do perform, in my experience at least of the 'SP200' very well - they don't have than sheer quality of use that the Swift for example has - nowhere even close.....

We shall soon see!
John B

mrsonchus

#23 Post by mrsonchus » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:53 pm

Culicoides wrote:Dear John, Congratulations on your purchase. I too have one of these and can confirm that they are "rolls-Royce" instruments; although on saying this I have no experience with the other big names. Mine was (is) used for insect work and thus is almost always low-power.
I also have a leitz variotube with mine; I wonder if anyone also has experience of one? It allows you to zoom in up to x3, and reverses the field of view so that in moving the slide left to right the image moves the same way. I found this invaluable.
I have a canon 1200d attached to the trinocular port via a canon extension tube, a reducing ring and a Brunel universal adapter (you need a sleeve 25-30 mm on the port). I'll look forward to hearing of your experiences via the forum.
I'd be very interested to see you 1200D mount to the Orthoplan 'scope as I too have a 1200D languishing in a drawer at this time as I'm getting far better results from my recently acquire 5mp ToupCam would you believe...
I've also got the Brunel adapter - very quick and easy to use with the Canon straight into my SP200's photoport via it's added 23mm 'top' as supplied with the 'scope new - but the extension tube and reducing ring for the Orthoplan I'm ignorant of at the moment.

At the moment I've a 2mp ToupCam, a 5mp ToupCam and a Canon 1200D DSLR to choose from.
John B

mrsonchus

#24 Post by mrsonchus » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:55 pm

billben74 wrote:Congratulations mrsonchus!

Yes it'll be very interesting to make some meaningful comparisons between the two once I get the Orthoplan up & running - watch this space!
John B

mrsonchus

#25 Post by mrsonchus » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:00 pm

75RR wrote:After a little more reading it sounds ever more impressive!
I am getting impatient as well :)
Ha 75' - I'm getting quite rabid also! The more I read of the huge array of options (for the Orthoplan system) and the more I see how quite available they are used the more I look forward to receiving the Orthoplan! Exciting! :D

100W illumination is also making me drool somewhat - DF here I come! I saw what I think is a water-immersion objective for it yesterday also - sounds interesting.... Apparently the Orthoplan is able to use 160 and 170 objectives if the head with the correct magnification factor is used - 1.0x vs 1.25x I think.

Slide in-out condenser and objective nose-pieces too!

Hmmm....... looking forward to this fine fellow arriving! :D
John B

mrsonchus

#26 Post by mrsonchus » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:01 pm

einman wrote:The orthoplan is a beautiful scope. I was searching for a good one when I came across my Diaplan. You will be pleased. The Diaplan is my favorite scope. The Orthoplan was considered the flagship for many years until the introduction of the Aristoplan. My Diaplan is one notch below the Aristoplan. The Orthoplan is verrry nice!. Excellent choice!!!
Thanks einman - I'm getting a little excited by the whole thing now! :D
John B

mrsonchus

#27 Post by mrsonchus » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:02 pm

rnabholz wrote:Congratulations John,. It is a great looking scope, and reviews are certainly good.

Can't wait to see what will come from it in your capable hands.

Rod
Haha Rod! Interesting times ahead my friend - thanks for the encouragement. :)
John B

mrsonchus

#28 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:59 pm

Hi all, I've found the afore-mentioned (water immersion?) x50 na 1 objective and wonder if anyone can advise...
Here's a link to it:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leitz-Wetzlar ... SwA3dYffl8

Here's the picture of it:
ws_leitz x50 water objective.jpg
ws_leitz x50 water objective.jpg (26.5 KiB) Viewed 10007 times
Any ideas? Is this a water-immersion x50 1.0 n.a. 170mm TL objective suitable for a Leitz ortholux?
Seems a very high n.a. for x50.....

Just looking for baubles for my new 'scope and saw this - oh yes, how does one use this 'water-immersion' objective?

Apologies for the dumb questions, asking here I consider to be 'going straight to the experts' rather than stumbling around myself on the web! :)

Thanks for any help chaps... :)
John B

zzffnn

#29 Post by zzffnn » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:23 pm

John B,

The white ring and "W" both point to water immersion.

NA 1.0 is not terribly high for 50x. I have a 30x achromat with NA 0.9, for example. NA 1.0 should not be difficult to use, working distance (look up exactly how many mm?) should not be too short at that NA.

Do look into whether it is an achromat, fluorite or apochromat. What the parfocal distance it has and want eyepiece compensation it needs (if different than what you have).

NA 1.0 water immersion should be able to tolerate 10mm of tube difference, so you can use that on both 170mm and 160mm tube. No so for my NA 1.23 (70x) water immersion objective.

You just use water, instead of oil, over cover slip. Everything else runs the same as an oil objective. But water can be easily soaked up and leave zero residue, unlike oil (which is difficult to remove, if you want to go back to lower magnification).

But do you really need water immmersion for mounted plant tissues? Your samples are mounted in mountant with RI>1.4, which would work much better with oil immersion.

Fresh tissue (which has some native water) may work better with water immersion objectives.

Price seems good though, for that listing.

75RR

#30 Post by 75RR » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:54 pm

The ability to use 160 on this 170 TL stand is quite interesting. Must say I have not quite got my head around it yet
Apparently you have to use the 170 eyepieces with 160 TL objectives in order to keep the difference in distance to a minimum.

"In a nutshell, the reason for this backward compatibility is the fact that the older Leitz microscopes use an optical tube length (or image distance) of 152 mm, which is just 2 mm longer than the one proposed by DIN 58887 (150 mm)."

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/img ... 0finish%22

Wish they had lined up the drawings better: (See page 14 of link for more info)

Ok so I lined them up in illustrator and scaled it so that the 152mm length is in fact 152mm.
(This may vary on your screen if you have not set the screen resolution to give you 10mm = 10mm)
Unfortunately the scale of the other measurements are not as precise as I would like, so the 150mm length is in fact 148mm.
That makes the difference between the two 4mm rather than 2mm.
The other measurements are also a little off, still it gives a better idea I think of the ratios.
Added a green dotted line to emphasize this.

Last edited by 75RR on Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.