AO Stereo Questions

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
cpsTN

AO Stereo Questions

#1 Post by cpsTN » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:31 am

Impressed by the quality of my newly aquired AO 110 Compound, I am now wondering whether I should replace my Amscope 305 Stereo with an AO Stereo? Since Stereos use much lower power than do Compounds, will the "upgrade" be worth the money, visually? If it is, what models of AO Stereos should I consider? Should I stay with the Microstar line?
Charles Sands
Murfreesboro, TN 37129

MICROSCOPES:
AO 110
...objectives, infinity:
10x plan #1021
45x achro #1116
50x plan, oil iris #1016
100x plan, oil #1024

Amscope SE305, Stereo
...objectives: 1x, 3x
...EPs: 5x, 10x, 15x

KurtM

Re: AO Stereo Questions

#2 Post by KurtM » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:13 pm

I'm sure there will be better answers, but here's my opinion: watch eBay patiently, and pick up a AO/Spencer Model 26 or Cycloptic for cheap, say around $50. Then try it out and see for yourself how it compares and which you prefer. Then sell off whatever you like least.

AO/Spencer Model 26:

AO/Spencer Cycloptic:

Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

zzffnn

#3 Post by zzffnn » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:09 pm

AO 580 was their top end stereo. Bausch & Lomb StereoZoom 7, which was also the top end at its time, has a convenient continues zoom knob, though image quality may be very slightly worse than AO 580.

KurtM

#4 Post by KurtM » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:00 am

Yep, lots to be said for zoom, as opposed to intermediate steps as show in the two above. I have a B&L Stereozoom that was my first stereo scope way back in the 80's:

I have never had a chance to try on an AO 580 for size. These days I mostly turn to my Leica S4E, which is also a zoom type.

The beauty of the step type, as in my last post, is the almost unbelievably low prices they can be had for if you give it time.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

cpsTN

#5 Post by cpsTN » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:31 pm

I am finding some AO 570s but am having trouble finding any 580s. How does the 570 compare to the 580? Is it 98% as good? lol. Sorry, a little math humor.
Charles Sands
Murfreesboro, TN 37129

MICROSCOPES:
AO 110
...objectives, infinity:
10x plan #1021
45x achro #1116
50x plan, oil iris #1016
100x plan, oil #1024

Amscope SE305, Stereo

apochronaut

#6 Post by apochronaut » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:39 pm

The B & L SZ 7 , the AO 580 zooms or even many other objective changer type stereo microscopes will likely be superior to the Amscope 350 but really only if you were making the choice , as a fresh purchase. Since you already have the Amscope, you have to consider it's limited resale value and whether you use a stereo microscope enough to warrant the outlay of cash for another one. As Kurt says, inexpensive older stereo microscopes will come along at a good price, eventually but as with all used equipment, the price may or may not reflect the condition. It takes a little experience or good advice to purchase a used scope.

Your Amscope has both transmitted and incident lighting built in, so that is pretty convenient and magnifications of 10x and 30x, which pretty much covers the bases for a lot of stereo work. I'm not sure; can you get accessory objectives, with which to achieve intermediate magnifications for that? That might be a better option, if you can. Don't rely on eyepieces to bump up the magnification. The stencil microscope sellers are notorious for promoting that possibility but it seldom works well with cheaper optics and poor eyepiece designs. You need objective changes.

Getting one of the better stereo zoom microscopes from B & L or AO does allow for a lot of options. There are trinocular adapters, epi illuminators, and aux. objectives, so you will probably have more latitude to expand the system but these parts sometimes take time to find. The older objective changer designs from B & L and AO as well as others; the Cycloptic especially, also have some of those options but they are getting a bit scarce, as well.

One option that AO in particular had for it's older microscopes was kind of like a mini boom stand concept with an articulating arm, that allowed the microscope head to swing on a 180 degree arc, left to right out about 16" or so( It's been a while since I measured that) from the stage axis. The head is easy to fold back in over the stage and unlike a boom stand , the microscope has the same small footprint as the non-articulated stand. They are actually quite neat and are great for getting the microscope over large objects. The pillar is double too , so in addition to the rack and pinion dovetail focusing track, there is a manual dovetail track that you can extend another 8 or so inches vertical, . The total effect is of a boom stand microscope with about 16" clearance and 16" swing, in a compact footprint. There are 7 objective choices for those microscopes, loaded 3 at a time, to get between 7X and 105X. The objectives change with a spring and pin lock, in about 10 seconds and can be made parcentric. The model # of the articulating one from AO was 28LF. Can be black or grey.

All of the illumination options for the older scopes will need a remote transformer for power. Certain lights were designed to fit the instrument and the transformer will need to be the correct one because of plug compatibility. These can be placed for transmitted or incident viewing, or even in tandem. There were transformers made that could power both original units at once , with infinite variability between the two lights. Of course, adaptions can be made or small gooseneck leds employed.

You would have to consider how much you are going to use your stereomic., and whether it can be upgraded sufficiently over time , in order to keep up with your needs. Microscopes from OEM companies can be, although it takes a little sleuthing to find the accessories for older ones , sometimes.

apochronaut

#7 Post by apochronaut » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:53 pm

cpsTN wrote:I am finding some AO 570s but am having trouble finding any 580s. How does the 570 compare to the 580? Is it 98% as good? lol. Sorry, a little math humor.
In some literature, I have seen a reference to the 580 having "high resolution" optics. The 570 has a zoom range of .7 to 4.2., so with the 10x oculars it will cover 7X-42X . The 580 has a zoom ratio of 10x-60x, and a bigger body. I would think, either would be fine.

cpsTN

#8 Post by cpsTN » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:00 pm

I was wondering whether to upgrade my Stereo or not. Since Stereos use much low powers than do Compounds, are the attributes of quality optics as noticable?
Charles Sands
Murfreesboro, TN 37129

MICROSCOPES:
AO 110
...objectives, infinity:
10x plan #1021
45x achro #1116
50x plan, oil iris #1016
100x plan, oil #1024

Amscope SE305, Stereo

lorez

#9 Post by lorez » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:02 pm

are the attributes of quality optics as noticable?
Absolutely!

lorez

einman

#10 Post by einman » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:51 pm

I have 6 AO 580's and 2 B&L SZ7's. I have owned 8 B&L SZ7's at last count. In my opinion they are both superior to the Amscope, including their ZM series, which is their top of the line.. UP to 45X the Amscopes are not bad. I have owned the ZM series. The B&L SZ7 is superior in resolution to the AO 580 based on the ones I have seen. The AO580 has a wider field of view and is mechanically simpler and smaller, requires less illumination. However, I like them both.

As mentioned resale value on ANY Amscope is terrible regardless of the quality of the optics.

DSLR adaptation is easier on the SZ7.

Optical performance varies significantly depending on the condition of the scope. Look for one mounted on a biological stand as that minimizes chances of having been exposed to solder fumes etc.

The Cycloptic scope is impressive, although magnification is limited unless you use auxiliary objectives. However, at the mags available with a 1X objective and 10X eyepiece , I would say it as good if not better than the AO580. and has superior brightness requiring significantly less illumination. But--the AO is a zoom and does go to 60X. I find the higher magnifications necessary when examining Dacetines.

My goto AO580 was NIB having never been used. My Cycloptic looks new as well and was previously owned by a bank for examining bills so the stand and optics look new. This leads me to believe my comparisons are valid.

Rodney

#11 Post by Rodney » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:06 pm

I have been using the AO Cycloptic for at least 5 years now, and with the one I have the views are really good. The trick would be to find a good one that wasn`t used on an assembly line and smoked up with lead acid solder from the past 30 years and before. Other optical problems from such and any use may be visible since this stereo scope hasn`t been made in a long time, but the possibility exist that it could be put back into operation, and certainly ones that were never used on the assembly line exist.
I don`t own any Chinese stereo microscopes or compound.
Rodney

Rodney

#12 Post by Rodney » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:06 am

I forgot to mention that you can usually purchase the 2x aux. objective lens for the AO Cycloptic,, a few were around in places several years ago.
This will allow you to double the magnification from what the 1x provides. I doubt any magnification above that would win you any type of image award, so at 50x with 10x oculars that would be about it for a good image, 12x oculars at best.
If purchased make sure all rows of the double stacked lens inside the head next to the mag rotation changer are clean and shinny, no dull smoked up or contaminated lens will work very well. The way to tell is remove the objective and start looking up into the lens inside the head, rotate from one to the other. This would be a start. This rotation chamber can be removed, grease migration has been observed onto these lens in this area, best to remove chamber for a real good look.
The other optical path would be left and right prisms, dust covers, and then oculars. Never forget about any dull dust covers.
Rodney

PeteM

#13 Post by PeteM » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:09 am

While it's true the AO Cycloptic type has steps, those steps also allow easy use of micrometer calibration for measuring things under magnification. Perhaps because of familiarity (I've had one in my shop for decades) it's a favorite.

Between 4 barrel change magnifications, several objective changes (1/2x, 2/3x, 3/4x, 1x, 2x) and eyepiece changes (10x is best IMO but 15x & 20x are available) most any magnification needed can be obtained with the AO Cycloptics. The lens design also makes it very easy to add a ring light.

We used three of these scopes among 16 stations at a recent parent-kid event; and the stereo subjects (teeth of a skull, a strawberry, and goose down vs. polyester insulation) were among the most popular -- especially with younger kids.

That homage to the Cycloptic given, I'd like to be able to recommend a new and somewhat inexpensive stereo scope for parents wanting one for their kids. Anyone know if things like the AmScope models around $120 are any good for starters??