Need help to identify my Leitz Miicroscope

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
SpookyCat

Need help to identify my Leitz Miicroscope

#1 Post by SpookyCat » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:50 pm

Hello
I have recently purchased a Leitz Wetzlar microscope but despite days of hunting and posting in various groups I can not find out what model it is, I have found similar models but they are not as big and do not have the same features. The closest I have found is a CM Petrological Microscope. So if anyone can help that would be great would really like to find out all I can on it. It was made in 1907 according to the serial number of 107610 below are some pictures, it came with its case and four slide out boxes with various lenses and bits in. If anyone can help with any more information that would be great.
Chris

KurtM

Re: Need help to identify my Leitz Miicroscope

#2 Post by KurtM » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:39 am

Oh my, what a beauty! :shock:
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

SpookyCat

#3 Post by SpookyCat » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:08 pm

Thanks, still can't believe I managed to get it. But still don't know exactly what model it is, would love to be able to get the manual and or catalogue for it but no one can tell me what it is and I can not find a single image on the web of one the same.

Charles

#4 Post by Charles » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:45 pm

That is a very nice souped up Leitz petrological microscope. I don't have a model for you but you might go here http://www.antique-microscopes.com/ and email the owner of the site. He has helped me many times identifying some of my antique scopes.

SpookyCat

#5 Post by SpookyCat » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:29 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I did send an email and got an almost immediate answer saying that it is in fact the 'Large Mineralogical Stand A' with a few extras. My search has ended :)

charlie g

#6 Post by charlie g » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:28 pm

Beautiful vintage stand...have you given it 'first light' with a specimen? charlie guevara

Yann E.

#7 Post by Yann E. » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:19 pm

According to the 1913 Leitz catalogue both the "AA" & "A" stands have a different footing, and the "B" is also something else. The footing of yours fits stands "C" & "D", and only the "C" has the carrier for a rotative stage.

The site Charles mentioned shows a 1923 "CM" that is almost identical to yours : http://www.antique-microscopes.com/photos/Leitz_cm.htm but features a later type objective carrier quite similar to those found on late 1930s Ortholux-pol stands
You can only die once, but you'll enjoy it for a lifetime...

SpookyCat

#8 Post by SpookyCat » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:31 pm

Not yet had a proper look through it, that will come :)

Yann-E - In the PDF that I was sent from 1909 there is a picture of a Large Type A and it does look very similar with just the stage being an extra add on. It looks correct to me and this is quite a bit larger than a C. And I was sent the info from the author of the site you linked to.

Yann E.

#9 Post by Yann E. » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:13 pm

Right ! so it seems that Leitz introduced 2 new stand designs between 1909 and 1913 and altered the designations accordingly, downgrading their former top stand from "A" to "C" ... quite like me in my 30s and now 20 years later... :cry:

Sorry for the bad info :oops:
You can only die once, but you'll enjoy it for a lifetime...