Olympus CH2 objectives

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
RudiV

Olympus CH2 objectives

#1 Post by RudiV » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:20 pm

Hi everyone.

I have just purchased an Olympus CH2 microscope, the price was simply irresistible! It comes with 4x, 10x (2) and 100x oil objectives. Not sure why there are 2 x 10x objectives. I would like to add 20x and 40x Plan objectives. Other than Olympus 160 objectives what brands would work well?

Another option might be to convert the scope to permanent phase or darkfield illumination, in that case I would need a condenser and maybe phase objectives as well.

I am also looking for a trinocular head, if I search for "Olympus CH2 trinocular head" on ebay would the result work on my scope or are there variations of the CH2 that makes some heads incompatible?

Thanks for any information, I am still new at this!
Regards,
Rudi

75RR

Re: Olympus CH2 objectives

#2 Post by 75RR » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:37 pm

Congratulations RudiV

One can't really go wrong if you stick to the stand manufacture's objectives.
This is especially true for the big 4.

Here is a link that has plenty of Olympus microscope info, including of course the CH2
http://www.alanwood.net/photography/oly ... loads.html
http://www.alanwood.net/downloads/olymp ... ochure.pdf

You may want to look into whether the trinocular heads of some other Olympus stands are also compatible with yours.

Are the two 10x identical?

Do post photos!
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

RudiV

#3 Post by RudiV » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:56 pm

75RR wrote:Congratulations RudiV

One can't really go wrong if you stick to the stand manufacture's objectives.
This is especially true for the big 4.

Here is a link that has plenty of Olympus microscope info, including of course the CH2
http://www.alanwood.net/photography/oly ... loads.html

You may want to look into whether the trinocular heads of some other Olympus stands are also compatible with yours.

Are the two 10x identical?

Do post photos!
Thanks 75RR!

Thanks for the link, will have a good look before buying. I do have Olympus objectives but they are all infinity.

As far as the head goes, I will try the head from my CX41 but I don't think it will fit. A trinocular head would be nice but I can get by without it. I find that I seldom used the eye pieces, doing most of my work direct on the computer via live-view on the camera so I could just fit a camera (Canon) onto one of the eye-tubes.

I am not sure if the 2x 10's are the same, will only know once the scope arrives. Somehow I think they will be different as it does not make sense that they are the same. Time will tell.

Will post photos as soon as it arrives, will give it a good clean before putting it on the bench, alsp need to make space for it.

These scopes seem to breed, a few weeks ago I had none, now there are 3 (and I am looking for a stereo scope as well):mrgreen:

Thanks for the info!
Rudi

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:12 pm

These scopes seem to breed, a few weeks ago I had none, now there are 3 (and I am looking for a stereo scope as well)
You are now going to have to post photos of all of them ;)
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

RudiV

#5 Post by RudiV » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:20 pm

75RR wrote:
These scopes seem to breed, a few weeks ago I had none, now there are 3 (and I am looking for a stereo scope as well)
You are now going to have to post photos of all of them ;)
Will do! The other compound scope is a lowly Chinese one, but it is producing good (for me) images and the objectives are interchangeable with the CX41 allowing direct comparisons.

Thanks for the Alan Wood links! Lots of very useful information there!

Crater Eddie

#6 Post by Crater Eddie » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:05 pm

I see trinocs for the CH2 go by occasionally on $bay. The Olympus DPLAN objectives are quite good and often reasonably priced.
I agree, these things seem to breed like rabbits if you let them.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

RudiV

#7 Post by RudiV » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:21 pm

Crater Eddie wrote:I see trinocs for the CH2 go by occasionally on $bay. The Olympus DPLAN objectives are quite good and often reasonably priced.
I agree, these things seem to breed like rabbits if you let them.
CE
Thanks CE, will keep a eye open for a trinoc. Yes, there seems to be some reasonably priced DPLAN's about. Looking forward to comparing the older Olympus objectives with the newer ones.

As far as the breeding goes, somehow my hobbies always seem to get out of hand, but hey, as long as we are having fun :D I can see a real antique being added to my collection soon, some of them are just so beautiful!

Thanks for the info,
Rudi

zzffnn

#8 Post by zzffnn » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:22 am

Rudi,

Your CX41 is an infinity scope, so its head won't work well on a finite scope like CH2. Is your Chinese scope an infinity scope? Finite 160TL objective may focus on infinity scopes, but their optical parameters would be changed and thus they won't perform at their best that way.

KurtM

#9 Post by KurtM » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:07 am

RudiV wrote:...somehow my hobbies always seem to get out of hand...
Oh my, can I ever relate to THAT statement. :shock: :P :roll:

Congratz on the new scope, Rudi! And better mind 75RR on getting those pix posted soon - his wish is our demand! :mrgreen:
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

RudiV

#10 Post by RudiV » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:48 am

zzffnn wrote:Rudi,

Your CX41 is an infinity scope, so its head won't work well on a finite scope like CH2. Is your Chinese scope an infinity scope? Finite 160TL objective may focus on infinity scopes, but their optical parameters would be changed and thus they won't perform at their best that way.
Hi.

Yes, I realized that the CX41 is an infinity so it won't work well, will have to look for a Olympus BH/CH head.

Yes, my Chinese scope (Amscope T690C-PL) is an infinity scope. I have swapped objectives with the CX41 and doing side by side comparisons on both frames, I (or my camera) cannot really see any differences in image quality between the 2. The Amscope objectives are also Plan.

One of the reasons I wanted the CH was to get into the 160 system as there are many options, but it seems like it is not that simple to mix and match between brands....

Thanks,
Rudi

RudiV

#11 Post by RudiV » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:52 am

KurtM wrote:
RudiV wrote:...somehow my hobbies always seem to get out of hand...
Oh my, can I ever relate to THAT statement. :shock: :P :roll:

Congratz on the new scope, Rudi! And better mind 75RR on getting those pix posted soon - his wish is our demand! :mrgreen:
Oh yes, my other hobbies are already crowding me out of the house :D At least microscopy takes a bit less space that for example building/restoring aircraft :shock:

I will post some photos soon, till the CH arrives I can at least post photos of the other two.

Crater Eddie

#12 Post by Crater Eddie » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:29 pm

To address your main question more directly, I have read that Nikon 160 objectives work well on Olympus 160 scopes. I know I can swap my LOMO and Olympus objectives back and forth with good results. I have one Nikon that works well on my LOOMO scopes, haven't tried it on my Oly, but suspect it would work fine.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

Interference

#13 Post by Interference » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:16 am

I had a CH2 set up with its humble 10x 0.25, with the lamp adjusted for brightness.
Changed to a Nikon 10x 0.45
Only difference I could see was it got brighter. Turned the lamp down, then it looked the same.
Swap to Nikon eyepiece, same .
I was a bit disappointed :| .

Ok if I really really look for a difference I can find it, but the Nikon cost more than all the rest put together.

Pictures do reveal more..

--

Oh and they definitely breed, it must be all those tubes and mountings. I can see a dozen or so from where I'm sitting and I don't remember buying them so I couldn't have done.
Interference

RudiV

#14 Post by RudiV » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:44 am

Crater Eddie wrote:To address your main question more directly, I have read that Nikon 160 objectives work well on Olympus 160 scopes. I know I can swap my LOMO and Olympus objectives back and forth with good results. I have one Nikon that works well on my LOOMO scopes, haven't tried it on my Oly, but suspect it would work fine.
CE
Interesting!

Then I will try some Nikon/LOMO objectives, if they work great else I can sell them again (or keep them in case I might get a Nikon/LOMO frame :D )

Thanks for the info CE!
Rudi

RudiV

#15 Post by RudiV » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:15 am

Interference wrote:I had a CH2 set up with its humble 10x 0.25, with the lamp adjusted for brightness.
Changed to a Nikon 10x 0.45
Only difference I could see was it got brighter. Turned the lamp down, then it looked the same.
Swap to Nikon eyepiece, same .
I was a bit disappointed :| .

Ok if I really really look for a difference I can find it, but the Nikon cost more than all the rest put together.

Pictures do reveal more..

--

Oh and they definitely breed, it must be all those tubes and mountings. I can see a dozen or so from where I'm sitting and I don't remember buying them so I couldn't have done.
Thanks for the info, yes, like with camera lenses brand/price is not always related to quality. At least I know Nikon objectives is an option as well (more potential for breeding).

Rudi