The fine focus mechanism won't connect to the main focus of the LOMO.

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
MicroMan2

The fine focus mechanism won't connect to the main focus of the LOMO.

#1 Post by MicroMan2 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:56 pm

I'll take pictures once I get back home but the main issue is that a dovetail piece that connects the main focus rack and pinion to the fine focus mechanism keeps detaching in my LOMO. I think that I assembled it beforehand properly but I don't I know if there are screws that keep them from separating. Does anybody know the problem?

zzffnn

Re: The fine focus mechanism won't connect to the main focus of the LOMO.

#2 Post by zzffnn » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:36 pm

Yes, photos please.

By "main focus rack and pinion", did you mean coarse focus? If yes, then I suspect your LOMO scope is different than mine (and I don't know your model and may not be able to help you).

In my small Biolam with bottom fine focus wheel, my coarse focus is completely separated from (not connected to) fine focus mechanisms.

Crater Eddie

#3 Post by Crater Eddie » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:54 pm

From previous discussions I think this is a Zenith R-10, which is unfortunate since the focusing mechanism is different from the stands with which I am familiar.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:57 am

zzffnn wrote:Yes, photos please.

By "main focus rack and pinion", did you mean coarse focus? If yes, then I suspect your LOMO scope is different than mine (and I don't know your model and may not be able to help you).

In my small Biolam with bottom fine focus wheel, my coarse focus is completely separated from (not connected to) fine focus mechanisms.

I think it is the same microscope Fan, if his is an R10 as CE, suggests. It has a separate fine focus block that creeps up and down on the coarse focus block mounted behind it. Is there a stop screw or pin somewhere for the fine focus block, that limits travel? It sounds like his fine focus is losing contact, likely at the bottom of it's travel?