Zeiss photomicroscope question

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
carlh6902

Zeiss photomicroscope question

#1 Post by carlh6902 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:26 am

I am totally unfamiliar with the Zeiss photomicroscope. Can anybody set me straight on the tube lengths for the various incarnations of this beast (I,II,III)?

Carl
--- If you're in the Kansas City area and you need help with an Olympus BH-2 scope, PM me. I love to work on these things ---

photomicro

Re: Zeiss photomicroscope question

#2 Post by photomicro » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:50 am

Hi Carl, these were all 160mm tube length microscopes. They only really differ in the power supplies and electronics supporting the camera. By the time of the model III, you didn't need something the size of a small fridge to operate it! I have had all three at some point, and have access to manuals too, so if you need to know anything else, just ask.

Mike

Charles

#3 Post by Charles » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:01 am

Here is a picture of all three plus a Universal on the right. Along with each version of the Photomicroscope, they also made a Universal, which didn't have the internal camera but still had the same size and foot print. And as stated, all are 160 TL.
Zeiss 123 and Uni.jpg
Zeiss 123 and Uni.jpg (56.58 KiB) Viewed 1735 times
The main difference:
PM1 is hammer tone metal grey in color, has no meter on the front of the base and has a film wind lever under the film holder, iris diaphragm is 13 blade-all metal, no filters in the base and power source/camera controller is small. Also has a desiccant container on the upper left neck.
PMII is grey/white in color, has one meter on the front of the base, no wind lever, no desiccant container, iris diaphragm is 13 blade-all metal, seven filters in base activated by push buttons and power source/camera controller is large.
PMIII is grey/white in color, has two meters on the front base along with a round projection on the front which controls ASA/DIN, the focus knobs are plastic instead of all metal, the field diaphragm is 6 blade with plastic outer shell and seven filters in base activated by push buttons. The power source/controller is huge.
Universal: each version is the same as the PM in each series except it does not have the internal camera, film canister on the right and any meters on the base.

All can be put on an auxiliary lighting base which give you dual lighting options...the large 'pumpkin' lamp houses as well as the 12V lighting systems, and contains filters for fluoro use,as can be seen on the PMI and the Universal.

carlh6902

#4 Post by carlh6902 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:04 am

Thanks for the informative responses. I'll be getting a PMII in the coming few months (to balance out my Olympus side). What type of Darkfield condensers will work on these?

Carl
--- If you're in the Kansas City area and you need help with an Olympus BH-2 scope, PM me. I love to work on these things ---

Charles

#5 Post by Charles » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:38 am

There a few choices for darkfield.

A dedicated darkfield condenser:
Ultracondenser 1.2-1.4 NA Oil, Part # 46 55 00, like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carl-Zeiss-Micr ... Sw9ZNZk1Bl
Dry Darkfield 0.8-0.95 (46 55 05) or 0.7-0.85 (46 55 06)

Or one which is incorporated in a Zernick Phase rotating condenser, which will allow you to use Brightfield, Darkfield and Phase contrast:
Achro-Aplantic 1.4 NA condenser VZ, with BF-DF-Phase capabilities (46 52 77), like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeiss-Darkfield ... SwrfVZWr5~

Note: Part numbers vary depending on when they were manufactured. These were taken from the Zeiss Optical catalog.