Olympus BH-2 Sliding Focus Block

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
carlh6902

Olympus BH-2 Sliding Focus Block

#1 Post by carlh6902 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:56 am

I have released another chapter in the Olympus BH-2 hardware. This one covers the sliding focus block:

Edit 4/14/2019: Replaced outdated link with a link to the master index, which always contains the most recent versions:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7ckZ ... nFYVDJSRW8

Now to get to work on the binocular head.

Carl
Last edited by carlh6902 on Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
--- If you're in the Kansas City area and you need help with an Olympus BH-2 scope, PM me. I love to work on these things ---

billbillt

Re: Olympus BH-2 Sliding Focus Block

#2 Post by billbillt » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:34 pm

Thanks Carl for another installment.....

BillT

billporter1456

#3 Post by billporter1456 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:52 am

I don't have an Olympus microscope but I took a peek at your guide to working on the focus block and found it to be very clear and detailed. Excellent photos show every aspect of the process. Just wondering if you sell refurbished scopes?

carlh6902

#4 Post by carlh6902 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:47 am

billporter1456 wrote:I don't have an Olympus microscope but I took a peek at your guide to working on the focus block and found it to be very clear and detailed. Excellent photos show every aspect of the process. Just wondering if you sell refurbished scopes?
Bill,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm slowly working my way throug the entire BHT/BHTU stand. I should have the one for the binocular head released in a week or so. Then all that's left of the basic stand is the trinocular head. Then it's on to phase two (condensers, polarizing parts, objectives, etc).

This is a labor of love for me. When I got my first BH-2 scope, I looked for something to help me work on it, and found nothing. So, as I've learned the gory details of the BH2 (with the wonderful help of a scope repairman friend with 50 years experience servicing Olympus scopes), I wanted to put this out there to help the next guy, and hopefully to encourage others to do something similar for the scopes in their area of expertise.

I don't currently sell refurbished scopes, but do occasionally do refurbs for those who don't feel comfortable doing it themselves. I've had eBay purchases shipped to me for a refurb, then it's off to the happy new owner. Once again, it's a labor of love for me, so my rates are amazingly low when I do this sort of stuff.

Carl
--- If you're in the Kansas City area and you need help with an Olympus BH-2 scope, PM me. I love to work on these things ---

Crater Eddie

#5 Post by Crater Eddie » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:14 am

I do have a BH-2, and I appreciate your work very much! I'm lucky in that my scope is in tip top shape, but your guides will come in very handy if the day ever comes. And it's also good to know how all the parts go together just for the sake of knowing.
Super work!
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB