Lomo work in progress

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
georgetmacro

Lomo work in progress

#1 Post by georgetmacro » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:48 am

See attached image of the so-far Lomo Biolam modification so as to pair it up with Carl Zeiss bits and pieces.
mods are:
1) Base mounting under the stage has been stepped up to accommodate very small and close working distances of Carl Zeiss Jenna APO objectives.
2) Head attachment modified to accept both Lomo mono-tube and Cal Zeiss Jenna binocular head.
3) 1 micron micrometer fitted to the main chassis plus a sliding attachment fitted to the stage so as to accommodate any variation in size or operating distance of objectives.
Work still to do is basic stuff ... I have a base light on it's way also a mechanical stage. I have done much the same with my Nikon S series.
Attachments
LomoModified 1.jpg
LomoModified 1.jpg (188.54 KiB) Viewed 3489 times

Crater Eddie

Re: Lomo work in progress

#2 Post by Crater Eddie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:17 pm

Looks like a good instrument. Keep us posted.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

Micro-Bob

#3 Post by Micro-Bob » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:20 am

The binocular head is actually from Carl Zeiss Oberkochen, West Germany.
Can you post the engravings of the objectives? They seem to be something special. May be from a polarisation microscope.
The Biolam is a simplyfied copy of the Zeiss Jena LG stand. The normal Zeiss Jena objectives have nearly the same dimensions as the Lomos. 33.something mm from flange to object.

zzffnn

#4 Post by zzffnn » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:47 am

Micro-Bob wrote:The binocular head is actually from Carl Zeiss Oberkochen, West Germany.
Can you post the engravings of the objectives? They seem to be something special. May be from a polarisation microscope.
The Biolam is a simplyfied copy of the Zeiss Jena LG stand. The normal Zeiss Jena objectives have nearly the same dimensions as the Lomos. 33.something mm from flange to object.
Welcome to the forum, Bob.

Wow, you know your LOMO and Zeiss! Good catch on the Carl Zeiss West Germany head on LOMO. I missed that. Wouldn't that combination mess up tube length?

George said in his previous posts that he uses some 190 mm tube length Zeiss apochromatic objectives.

My Zeiss Jena 20x apo NA 0.65 has parfocal distance slightly longer than my LOMO apo objectives. Very slightly longer. I cannot remember how much though (maybe 200 microns), as I eventually sold the Zeiss Jena.

Micro-Bob

#5 Post by Micro-Bob » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:21 am

Lomo, Zeiss West and Zeiss Jena were 160mm tube length. Zeiss West had the meeting point with the eyepiece 10mm in the tube, Lomo and Zeiss Jena 12.5 or 13 mm.
The connecting point between head and stand could be somewhat different between these systems. So yes, the tube length might be wrong now. With such a mix of parts I would just try it and see if I'm happy with the image and the parfocality. If it's good it's good. If not, theory might have to be takeninto account.

zzffnn

#6 Post by zzffnn » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:30 am

Micro-Bob wrote:.......The connecting point between head and stand could be somewhat different between these systems. So yes, the tube length might be wrong now. .....
That was exactly what I meant. I had an instance where that difference is 10mm. In theory, that 10mm tube length difference can mess up any NA higher than 0.65.