Seeking AO/American Optical experts advice

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
ebenbildmicroscopy

Seeking AO/American Optical experts advice

#1 Post by ebenbildmicroscopy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:45 pm

For about twenty years, I've been regretting NOT adopting a pile of old American Optical "group" microscope illuminators. I've tried to find out what the catalog number for these was and turn up nuthin' - they would make great desk lamps.

I used to work as a supervisor for the general biology section of a large university biology dept. In that job I had access to a great deal of surplus property - much of that was old microscope apparatus. I've included an old pic of J. Edgar Hoover at his desk with a pair of lamps that resembles the style of the AO lamps...

The lamps I'm seeking were designed to be placed on a table and then surrounded with microscopes (maybe up to 10 or 12 scopes) and project light down through a ground glass globe. What in the world were these AO lamps and does anyone have a couple I could purchase?
hoover500.jpg
hoover500.jpg (92.11 KiB) Viewed 3239 times
JeffO, aka "Ortho amore"
Leitz Ortholux I
Leitz Orthoplan
Leitz Macro-Dia Device
Zeiss GFL
Zeiss Standard
Zeiss Photomicroscope III
Zeiss OPMI 6S
B&L Stereozoom and Balplan

apochronaut

Re: Seeking AO/American Optical experts advice

#2 Post by apochronaut » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:31 am

I have one. i would sell it. the globe would take some very special packaging in order to survive shipping. they are somewhat unique and a little different than that you picture. J. Edgar Hoover, eh?....how far he and i are apart.

apatientspider

#3 Post by apatientspider » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:25 am

ebenbildmicroscopy wrote:For about twenty years, I've been regretting NOT adopting a pile of old American Optical "group" microscope illuminators. I've tried to find out what the catalog number for these was and turn up nuthin' - they would make great desk lamps.

I used to work as a supervisor for the general biology section of a large university biology dept. In that job I had access to a great deal of surplus property - much of that was old microscope apparatus. I've included an old pic of J. Edgar Hoover at his desk with a pair of lamps that resembles the style of the AO lamps...

The lamps I'm seeking were designed to be placed on a table and then surrounded with microscopes (maybe up to 10 or 12 scopes) and project light down through a ground glass globe. What in the world were these AO lamps and does anyone have a couple I could purchase?
The catalog number of the lamp you refer to is #372. It is on page 6 of the 1935 Spencer Lamps catalog published by the Spencer Lens Company. I'm not sure for how long after that year they were still being offered. They used a 150 watt bulb and the lamp's globe was made of Daylight Glass. Could be used as a microscope illuminator or ordinary table lamp for room lighting.

You can download the 10 page catalog here: http://user.xmission.com/~psneeley/Pers ... oscope.htm (Scroll down to item 21.)

Jim

KurtM

#4 Post by KurtM » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:10 pm

Cool reference, Jim, I hadn't taken a look at that one in ages. Cheers!
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:34 pm

I have the same catalogue from 1940 and it is still in there. Several others, have however, been deleted. About this time, Spencer began a systematic deletion of various non-essential items from their stocklist.

I do have a couple of catalogue supplements, one dated September 1 1941, which is a list of SUSPENDED ITEMS due to the National Emergency.
It is not listed there, nor is it listed in a subsequent supplement dated June 1 1944. It doesn't show up in the comprehensive Blue Book of 1946.
Presumably, it was dropped at some point between 1940 and 1946 but not in 1941 or 1944.