Just bought Leitz objective...

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
mrsonchus

Re: Just bought Leitz objective...

#31 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:22 pm

Charles wrote:There is an article in Micscapes on using the Zeiss 1X and the lighting which was required.
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... power.html
This article also shows the light-side/dark-side problem! What causes this?
John B

MichaelG.

#32 Post by MichaelG. » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:42 pm

mrsonchus wrote: This article also shows the light-side/dark-side problem! What causes this?
I think it's down to the quality of the illumination, John
... See the note from Leitz that I posted on 22-Nov.

Just because the objectives give unity magnification doesn't mean that they are simple:
I have tried, and thus far failed, to find an optical formulation for either the Zeiss or the Leitz 1x objective, but obviously; given the very different object distance and image distance provided at 1x, there must be some clever stuff inside !

I suspect that the results with the matched condeser, properly set up, would be much better.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

einman

#33 Post by einman » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:53 pm

What are you taking photos of out of curiosity? I assume a botanical section?

mrsonchus

#34 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:21 pm

einman wrote:What are you taking photos of out of curiosity? I assume a botanical section?
Yes, Botanical sections between about 3-15µ stained, mounted in resinous mountant ('Omnimount' or 'Numount') under coverglass No 1½, brightfield.
John B

einman

#35 Post by einman » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:22 pm

Does your Orthoplan have the head that allows for multiple imaging devices?

mrsonchus

#36 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:26 pm

einman wrote:Does your Orthoplan have the head that allows for multiple imaging devices?
It's a trinocular head, 2 eyepieces and a photo-port....

Here's a pic of my setup,
ws_ortho_EOS_adapter_fitted.jpg
ws_ortho_EOS_adapter_fitted.jpg (93.43 KiB) Viewed 3217 times
Any thoughts?
John B

einman

#37 Post by einman » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:48 pm

Does that head divert 100% of the light to the camera when you take shots or only partial so you can use the eyepieces while taking a shot?

I have seen cases when if the image is diverted thru both the photo port and the eyepieces you can get extraneous light appearing on the image. You either have to divert 100% to the phototube or make sure the eyepieces are not allowing external light.

In those cases where I was taking photos and simultaneously peering thru the eyepieces if I moved my head away when taking the shot or my eyes were at a distance from the eyepieces it could cause problems.

I recall one afternoon trying to figure out why I was getting poor images via the eyepieces and realized extraneous light was entering the trinoc as I had the port opened. Can work the same way by entering the eyepieces. If you take photos in a dark room you would not see the phenomena. In my case i was directly under fluorescent lights. I could imagine additional problems if light is diverted to only one eyepiece as is the case in some older stereoscopes.

Just thoughts. I have no experience in "stitching" images. I use the FSA-GW-R head which allows for the use of 2 cameras on the head separately or simultaneously.

einman

#38 Post by einman » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:56 pm

I also observed extraneous light entering via the objective. It only happened with an older planapo but I had to have the lights off when using that objective. I assumed it was possibly damaged or a coating was deteriorating allowing light to bounce around inside. I meant to discuss with apochronaut but ended up selling the objective and thus was no longer an issue.

By the way what camera adapter set-up are you using?

mrsonchus

#39 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:00 am

It's the head that diverts 100% to the photo-port. The idea of light 'seeping in' via the eyepieces is worth a quick test though - I'll have a look at this tomorrow. Thanks for the help my friend, appreciated. :)
John B