Nikon "condenser holder"

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Timemaster1212

Nikon "condenser holder"

#1 Post by Timemaster1212 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:43 pm

As I stated yesterday, i have a Nikon S, or what i believe it is to be. When i received it, it was a simple matter of putting everything together when i noticed that the "condenser holder" (sorry if i am not labeling the part right) would not screw in.
Whats on the stage.
What needs to screw in.

Does anyone know how i am supposed to attach them back or if I have to send it to a professional. Thank you for your time and opinion!

MichaelG.

Re: Nikon "condenser holder"

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:08 pm

That looks like a multi-start left hand thread.

There will probably be one 'match' that works slightly better than the others, but it should just screw in anti-clockwise.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Timemaster1212

#3 Post by Timemaster1212 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:18 pm

Thank you! I will go try it now. If I am unable to find that "one match" is there a way to spot it? Or is it a process of feel?

MichaelG.

#4 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:05 pm

Timemaster1212 wrote:Thank you! I will go try it now. If I am unable to find that "one match" is there a way to spot it? Or is it a process of feel?
Just a matter of feel ... Count how many starts there are; then pick one at random: If it doesn't feel good just back-out, keep a little pressure on, and and let it drop into the next.
If you try all the matches and can't feel any difference, then Nikon's machining is very good.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

MicroBob

#5 Post by MicroBob » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:47 pm

These precise multi-start threads often need a lot of patience to get them started.
It might have been forced in the past and might not thread at all without a slight touch-up with a file.
I would clean both components really thoroughly and inspect them for minor damages at the ends of the thread. Then try to thread them together, always keeping in mind that it might take a while even if everything is fine.

Timemaster1212

#6 Post by Timemaster1212 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:07 am

Thank you all for your answers. If my teachers are nice and i do not receive any homework i will do this tomorrow and post my results. :D

Timemaster1212

#7 Post by Timemaster1212 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:08 am

MicroBob wrote:These precise multi-start threads often need a lot of patience to get them started.
It might have been forced in the past and might not thread at all without a slight touch-up with a file.
I would clean both components really thoroughly and inspect them for minor damages at the ends of the thread. Then try to thread them together, always keeping in mind that it might take a while even if everything is fine.
I might have that issue because at one point i get it started then it locks up so i will inspect it and see what i can find.