Reflex in a binocular

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
jomaiz

Reflex in a binocular

#1 Post by jomaiz » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:51 pm

Do you think it is risky to use a reflex in a binocular in a usual way? Could something be ruined by the weight?

thanks.

Hobbyst46

Re: Reflex in a binocular

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:34 pm

There are photos and descriptions in the photomicrography forums of such setups: DSLRs mounted on binocular tubes. So it can be done.

IMHO, the potential risks are:

1. The whole setup will not be under static stable mechanical equilibrium and will topple, due to the moment of the DSLR - weight*length of the eyepiece tube (including everything that it carries). Provided that the microscope is sufficiently heavy, it will not happen.

2. If the camera and its adapter(s) are only supported by the eyepiece itself, I would be concerned about the integrity of the eyepiece.

3. Accordingly, I would prefer that the mechanical support be provided by the eyepiece tubes, AND a tight contact between the inner surface of the adapter (a depth of ~20mm, say) and the outer surface of the eyepiece tube. I would not trust an arrangement where the only support contact between adapter and eyepiece tube is the ends of three thumb screws, for example. Use hard plastic or metal spacers (shims) to fill the radial space between the tubes and create tight contact.

4. If practicable, removing the camera from the scope between sessions decreases the risk of gradual mechanical deformation - if any.

jomaiz

#3 Post by jomaiz » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:05 am

Thanks for your answer. I should have bought a trinocular, my fault.

The first point does not happen to me, the microscope weighs more than the reflex.

A reflex weighs about 500-600g (1,1 lbs) while an eyepiece camera a half? I think I should buy one instead of using the reflex. What do you think? I really like to make videos and photos of what I see.

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:14 pm

A DSLR produces excellent photos and I would use it, rather than an eyepiece camera. Mounting a DSLR on the camera has been discussed by experts on this forum, Microscopy-UK site and Photomicrography site, among others.

Yet, if in doubt about balance, one might try to secure the microscope on top of a flat heavy metal/ceramic/stone base plate. A 40cm x 60 cm x 1 cm ceramic tile weights about 6-7 Kgs. A steel/brass plate of similar dimensions - 19 Kgs. To secure the microscope to the plate without damage to the scope itself, drill holes in the plate and use long strong plastic cable ties to fasten the microscope stand through the holes. Glue four adhesive rubber stoppers or similar household furniture "feet" to the underside of the base plate.

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:35 pm

Many older microscope photography set ups used heavy cameras but the camera was isolated from the microscope. Spencer/AO , which I am most familiar with had a separate stand for the camera, with bellows focusing. It was placed over a dedicated camera monocular( included in the microscope kit), which was easily swapped for the viewing binocular head. Up until the series 100, in the 1980's, AO still supplied such photography stands for use with the trinocular tube. The camera bellows was brought to a critical point over the photo eyepiece and various backs could be employed; 35mm, 2 1/4 and 4x5.
A more practical equivalent, is to put the camera on a tripod and bring it very close to the eyepiece as an afocal set up or an adapter could be made up to use a photo eyepiece as a relay lens, direct to the sensor. This would remove the weight of the camera to the tripod. I use the latter system sometimes with stereo microscopes and it works perfectly. Always, it is best to release the shutter via wire or by blue tooth. I have a 3.00 push button shutter release that plugs into the micro-usb socket and it works like a charm.