Just bought a 402a phase condenser

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
mrsonchus

Just bought a 402a phase condenser

#1 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:31 pm

Hi all, I just bought a Leitz 402a phase condenser for my Orthoplan, with a view to populating my 2nd nosepiece with a series of Phaco objectives, to be bought as my budget and opportunity allow....

Anyway - it doesn't come with the adjusting 'rods' so I'll need to improvise until I can find some for sale.

If anyone has a couple for sale or knows of a pair for sale please let me know via pm if possible - many thanks fellows all.

John B. :D :D
John B

einman

Re: Just bought a 402a phase condenser

#2 Post by einman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:46 pm

Congrats. I can't help you though as the phase condensers I have for my Dialux and Diaplan are of a different design. Like yourself I have a turret already populated with phaco objectives. In fact I have several more oil objectives designed for Darkfield and another condenser en route as I continue my quest to optimize my favorite scopes and sell those not used that often.

mrsonchus

#3 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:04 pm

Hi einman, keep an eye out for me old chap!

I know what you mean about clearing-out to the necessities... I've the big-O of course, which is so configurable that I don't really need another dedicated compound (i.e for non-brightfield) in the lab, but I hesitate to sell my 'spare' SM-LUX as you never know when you may 'need' to take it somewhere with you.... :oops:
I'm tempted to buy (or at least look-for) a trinocular head for the SM-LUX, but am unsure which is the correct one for it....

I have the stereo-'scope with me for this week away (home tomorrow!) to do a little moss-bothering of course! :D :D

I'll be looking for Phaco objectives of course (170mm TL) - I believe the 402a has phase-rings 1,2 and 3? Would these be for x10, x20 and x40 do you think?

So, anyone with phaco objectives (170mm TL) to sell, let me know, and of course the adjustment 'sticks'!

Thanks my friend. John B. :)
John B

einman

#4 Post by einman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:24 am

I agree with you. I don't really need another compound scope with the Diaplan being so versatile. But like yourself, I have a Dialux 20 as a "standby". Trimming down everything else.

The good thing about the Dialux 20 and Diaplan is that they use several of the same parts like the turret and head.

I will keep a look out for you.

photomicro

#5 Post by photomicro » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:08 pm

mrsonchus wrote:Hi all, I just bought a Leitz 402a phase condenser for my Orthoplan, with a view to populating my 2nd nosepiece with a series of Phaco objectives, to be bought as my budget and opportunity allow....

John B. :D :D

I still have the following;

Leitz Phaco 10/0.25 170/-

Leitz Phaco 40/0.65 170/0.17

You had the x2.5 from me if you remember.

Mike

mrsonchus

#6 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:46 pm

photomicro wrote:
I still have the following;

Leitz Phaco 10/0.25 170/-

Leitz Phaco 40/0.65 170/0.17

You had the x2.5 from me if you remember.

Mike
Hi Mike! That x2.5 is a beautiful objective - as you'll know - I've rambled-on about it here quite a lot - I love it!

Those Phacos look interesting, can you pm or e-mail me re the prices please my friend.

John B.
John B

mrsonchus

#7 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:03 am

Hi all, well I've now discovered a handy thing re the Leitz 402a phase contrast condenser - as it's physically-matching slide-in mount suggests, the 402a is able to be used with my little SM-LUX 'standby' 'scope!
This will give me the ability to use phase with either the Orthoplan (with slide-in nosepiece and 402a condenser) or with the smaller SM-LUX which I keep on one of my desks actually in the lab - very handy for first-look examination of sections as they 'come off the block' from the mighty Shandon.... A very handy ability that will enable me to adjust microtome-specimen angles as sectioning progresses.

Here's a link to the handy document I found...

Here's a snippet,
sm lux also uses 402a phase condenser.JPG
sm lux also uses 402a phase condenser.JPG (83.59 KiB) Viewed 4265 times
It should be interesting and useful - also the 402a has a central-stop for darkfield, oh and the 'achr' condenser top-lens to-boot!
I've since found (with the very kind help of a couple of my friends here) and bought some objectives (Phaco) and a pair of centering wrenches to go with it, just have to watch-out for the postman now!

I'll post more when it arrives...

Back soon hopefully with some more info.

John B. :D :D :)
John B

PeteM

#8 Post by PeteM » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:52 am

Does the 402A have a small square phase adjuster -- and take a tiny female square drive?

If so, there is a standard brass tube (of the sort sold at hobby shops and, of course, on line) that just fits this. Buy the tube, cut a couple lengths, and embed them in a handles.

MichaelG.

#9 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:40 am

Thanks for the link, John
That's a very useful reference document.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

mrsonchus

#10 Post by mrsonchus » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:19 pm

PeteM wrote:Does the 402A have a small square phase adjuster -- and take a tiny female square drive?

If so, there is a standard brass tube (of the sort sold at hobby shops and, of course, on line) that just fits this. Buy the tube, cut a couple lengths, and embed them in a handles.
Hi Pete, I bought a pair of these to go with it, link --> Adjustment wrenches

I also have x10, x25 and x40 Phaco objectives on their way... I don't know if I'll really need/want a x100 for phase, but maybe in the fuuture....

I'm watching for the postman! :D :D
John B

mrsonchus

#11 Post by mrsonchus » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:56 pm

MichaelG. wrote:
Thanks for the link, John
That's a very useful reference document.

MichaelG.
You're welcome my friend, glad you found it useful. :)
John B