Advice on Leitz Ortholux 2

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
NCBot

Advice on Leitz Ortholux 2

#1 Post by NCBot » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:40 am

Hello. I've just bought a Leitz Ortholux 2. :) I'm fairly new to microscopy; I've a Physics background so hopefully understand the underlying optics but have little practical experience.

I'm probably going to need to ask for further advice as I proceed but I've one pressing question now. The scope arrived with some damage to the power supply (see pic.). :( Looks like it came in contact with the stage which wasn't wonderfully wrapped. I think the meter damage is limited to the glass. I'd like to assess what it might take to replace or repair the power supply so that I can agree terms with the seller. I don't really want to send it all back now I've just got it. I haven't checked the scope otherwise yet beyond assembling it.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards
Attachments
IMG_3763-25.jpg
IMG_3763-25.jpg (228.22 KiB) Viewed 3538 times

Hobbyst46

Re: Advice on Leitz Ortholux 2

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:20 pm

I would, first of all, take a picture of the packaging and status of the power supply as received.

Then, tape the shattered glass in place for safety, quickly assemble the scope, connect the power supply, turn it on and check that the illumination is as expected. If so, get a quick estimate from an electrician or electronic workshop about replacement of the glass, add the expense of buying a new cut-to-size glass plate and negotiate the total damage with the seller. You may also try to locate similar power supplies on the used item market, to estimate the cost of buying a replacement.
If I am not wrong, the blow chipped off a piece from the voltage setting knob. Such knobs are usually replaceable.

P.S. If you know that the power supply took the blow from the stage, I would verify that the stage moves smoothly in both directions and that the focusing and condenser and condenser focusing are not damaged. Mechanical damage to the scope itself (hopefully none here) would be more significant than the PS, which is common electrical apparatus.
Last edited by Hobbyst46 on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Crater Eddie

#3 Post by Crater Eddie » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:30 pm

Good advice. If you can locate a group of amateur radio operators, one of them could probably do the repair work for you in exchange for a cold beverage or two.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

NCBot

#4 Post by NCBot » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:09 am

Thanks for the advice. The seller has offered to refund the whole thing on return or to make a partial refund (to be agreed). I prefer the later as this is the sort of scope I was looking for and it was at, I think, a good price originally.

I've removed the broken glass and turned the power supply on. Meter needle swings with the voltage knob and I can detect a variable AC output - I presume that's right: it doesn't specify the output on the box as far as I could see. So, hopefully no further damage. However, I still can't test the scope because the bulb has gone - filament detached, probably in transit, I guess.

I've also noticed that the shaft that the slide position adjustment controls are on appears to be at an angle to the vertical, as seen from the front/back - see picture. I don't know whether it's meant to be like that - I assume not - and I can't really make out whether it's the same in the original pictures I saw - it's difficult to be sure from the angles. If it's bent, I would have thought it would take a significant blow to do it but I don't have the experience with these things. The controls all seem to work OK - I've taken them all the full travel and they seem fine, what I would call firm but smooth.

Any further thoughts much appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_3778-25.jpg
IMG_3778-25.jpg (120.11 KiB) Viewed 3425 times

Hobbyst46

#5 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:10 pm

I believe, that if, during the transport, while (badly) packed in the box, the vertical stage knob was facing the power supply, they collided into each other, shattered the glass window AND slightly dislocated the knob from its normally vertical position. Just my belief. However, it would mean that the knob took the blow, i.e. local damage, at the most, you need to replace the stage. Unless you could live with it, after some refund from the seller.

apochronaut

#6 Post by apochronaut » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:19 pm

Ugh. bad packing of microscopes! Heavy parts flying around and crashing into each other, vibration loosening stuff, standing waves loosening even more stuff. I even once had a microscope arrive with both ocular tubes sticking out through the box.
The glass isn't of much consequence. It is easily repairable but the bent shaft is not good. The bend occurs below the y pinion gear and likely has not put it out of alignment, so the two rack and pinion sets are still probably true and unharmed but the shaft which activates the x gear set and runs right up through the middle of the y control has to be oscillating somewhat. At the very least it is going to cause premature wear, even if the two gear sets are running true, now.

Anyone know what the material of those shafts is? It will be either steel or brass. Brass is brittle and often fractures when a severe bend is straightened but steel is usually forgiving. If steel, personally, I would bend it back. If brass I still would risk it because the bend is not that great and light slow pressure can be applied, lessening the fracture risk.
There are various types of expanders available but if you can get a hold of a true monkey wrench( not a pipe wrench or a crescent wrench) , they have a flat side on the bottom of the travelling jaw which might be used to expand the gap between the microscope body and the control.I'm not sure if it would be able to catch enough of the control shaft. Better to make one out of a bolt and a nut, cut to the exact length between the control and the body. File a groove into the nut head, so it doesn't turn and turn the nut against a washer cut out of a hard plastic container.
sorry to throw a monkey wrench into everything.

I would be asking for 100.00 refund on the scope or just pass on it and return it. If that was an ebay purchase, make sure that the seller pays the return shipping.