Olympus bino head teardown and clean

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
coominya

Olympus bino head teardown and clean

#1 Post by coominya » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:12 pm

Pulling apart a precision instrument is not something I take lightly and anyone without some experience in fine mechanical work should not attempt this sort of thing. There are a myriad of learned techniques, like applying firm pressure to (the right) screwdriver when removing old screws, so as to prevent the heads being stripped. Like taking photos as you go, and laying out the components in an ordered line so as it's obvious how it all goes back together. To have the basic experience in being able to locate grub screws and other locking mechanisms that are not obvious to the eye at first inspection.

My primary scope is an ECE, I had cleaned the outer optical surfaces with lens tissue and cleaner but the bino head had a lot of mold growth internal and I was waiting until I found a cheap old scope of identical design to practice on first before I attempted it. This thread is about the clean up of this second scope head which I bought today. The process went well and I now have a complete spare head, along with a decent second ECE too I might add :)

Below is the head as I found it with filthy optics on the outside. These bino heads have 6 small prisms inside too, each with two surfaces that mold can grow on. Now let me state CLEARLY here, because it is not evident in the pictures, that each prism is held in place by a backing plate or cage, and a set of grub screws (with a fixative over them) These grub screws are used to align them in a perfect optical path. Under no circumstances would I ever loosen these grub screws because the realignment process would be a nightmare outside of a professional repair shop.

Luckily though both sides of nearly all prisms can be reached with cleaning tissue after basic disassembly. Be Very Cautious though because there is grease in various places within the head and the last thing you want to do if you ever attempt this is to transfer grease to an optical surface. After dissassembly and before the actual cleaning I washed my hands thoroughly to remove any traces.

The Head Before Cleaning

Head with one EP tube removed.
Two obvious screws held the cover panel on and 3 grub screws held the tube in place. I undid each grub screw exactly 2 turns
which was more than needed to remove the tube but allowed me to easily relocate the tubes in the same precise position if required.

The Head with tubes and position bracket off showing the tops of 2 prisms.
And LOTS of Grease! There were no tricks to this but I had to be careful when re-attaching the position bracket so as the pin
was located in the little arm that moves the calibration dial.

The underside of the EP section showing the cluster of small prisms, all which were easily cleaned with isopropyl alcohol
(or whatever you choose) NOTE! I took great care to remove this without bashing it on the aluminum case on the way out
and always had it prism side up. Note this photo. It shows the orientation of the cluster to the head itself thus I used it to
avoid confusion when re-inserting it. That is the value of photos.

Next was the bottom section which came off by removing the 4 screws. As you can see, this gives access to 2 of the
prism surfaces to be cleaned, the final one is below and is accessed by unscrewing a dark tube that itself had 2 glass elements.

Here was the point where I discovered the grub screws that held each prism in alignment. When I saw them
embedded into those alloy uprights I immediately reattached this bracket. You can just see them in the pic above,
along with a dribble of the goop that locks them in place.

The final prism surface to clean, hidden under the short dark tube (seen endwise in this pic and in the 2nd pic on the thread) The tube screwed out easily, it seems a lot of the tubes on microscopes undo to allow access to parts beyond. Note to self to check these all and ensure they are snug because many have glass elements in them.

Great care was taken in re-assembly, ensuring no grease was transferred where it shouldn't and that all screws threaded
properly and were snug. All in all it was a pretty easy operation, I don't know what all the fuss was about in my mind leading up to it. Needless to say the view through this head is now "perfect" where as before it was a hazy mess. Tomorrow I will clean the original head while the process is still fresh in my mind.

EDIT: The alignment of the eyepiece tubes that were removed via the 3 small recessed grub screws was indeed critical and the collimation of the microscope was affected. The process of correcting this was simple enough given a few standard accessories and is listed in the link (downloadable as a pdf on site) kindly provided by MichaelG in his post below.
Last edited by coominya on Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hobbyst46

Re: Olympus bino head teardown and clean

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:23 pm

I saved this informative post by using SAVE PAGE in FireFox like you explained in a previous post - thanks for both!

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:30 pm

Well done. Have been meaning to do that with mine - It has cobwebs inside :)
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

MichaelG.

#4 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:32 pm

Many thanks for posting this, coominya ... very helpful.

For additional reference, here's a link to Ron Green's excellent paper on collimation:
https://archive.org/details/APracticalG ... ollimation
Despite the slightly ambiguous title: Yes, it's about Microscope heads

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

desertrat

#5 Post by desertrat » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:36 pm

Glad it went well!
Rick

A/O 10 Series Microstar
A/O 4 Series Microstar
A/O 4 Series Phasestar
A/O 4 Series Apostar
A/O Cycloptic Stereo
Several old monocular scopes in more or less decrepit but usable condition

coominya

#6 Post by coominya » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:39 pm

MichaelG. wrote:Many thanks for posting this, coominya ... very helpful.

For additional reference, here's a link to Ron Green's excellent paper on collimation:
https://archive.org/details/APracticalG ... ollimation
Despite the slightly ambiguous title: Yes, it's about Microscope heads

MichaelG.
Thanks Michael, Ron Green is a legend. very well written and not much harder than collimating an SCT scope.

EDIT:
O Dear, the positioning of those upper tube grub screws was critical. That should have been obvious to me in hindsight.
I used my calibration slide and reticle EP as I don't have the centering side etc, and the two barrels were quite divergent. I pulled them back into shape quickly enough though. Thanks again for the help.