Zeiss Universal - Where to Buy?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
JGardner

Zeiss Universal - Where to Buy?

#1 Post by JGardner » Wed May 16, 2018 2:48 am

It's been quite a long time since I gave away all of my microscope kit and now I'd like to get back into it. I've always wanted a Zeiss Universal and now I have the means and the space to have one.

My question: What's the best way for someone not familiar with the Universal to acquire one in excellent working and cosmetic condition? I've seen several for sale on eBay, but many (most?) of these are being sold by sellers who claim to know nothing about the microscope they're selling. I don't want to get stuck with a lemon.

How have others acquired Universals and similar scopes without getting ripped off or stuck with a piece of junk? What are some of the things to look for (and look out for) when shopping for a Universal?

75RR

Re: Zeiss Universal - Where to Buy?

#2 Post by 75RR » Wed May 16, 2018 4:50 am

Hi JGardner,
I would suggest placing a wanted notice in the Suppliers, buying and selling section here and in the Equipment Exchange section of the photomacrography/amateurmicrography forum: https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/
as your best bet for a reasonably priced Universal in good condition is from a hobbyist.
Having said that, depending on which country you are in you might want to try your luck at surplus auctions and put one together.

Also depending on the use you want to put it to you might want to consider its little brother: the Standard WL (not as impressive but much more portable)

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... w-pm3.html
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... tomic.html
http://www.science-info.net/docs/zeiss/
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/art ... iss-WL.pdf
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Charles

#3 Post by Charles » Wed May 16, 2018 11:32 am

All of my Zeiss Universal/Photomicroscopes were bought on ebay:
Zeiss PMI, PMII, PMIII and Universal.jpg
Zeiss PMI, PMII, PMIII and Universal.jpg (57.04 KiB) Viewed 6490 times
The things you need to look for primarily is delamination of optical components. There are three main versions of the Universal which were made when it's corresponding Photomicroscopes were made.

Here is a decent Universal for sale on ebay. The beauty of this set is, it has all the basics, Phototube, phase condenser, 12V 100W lighting system and in-base filters, only one objective but lots of inexpensive choices on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CARL-ZEISS-PHO ... SwBahVWpCD

You don't need the camera or camera controller so you could probably bargain with him and make an offer including shipping.

Charles

#4 Post by Charles » Wed May 16, 2018 11:53 am

Another option is this Photomicroscope II from the same seller. This one has an auxiliary lighting base with both 12V 60W transmitted light and 200W HBO light system. It also has the Fluoro IIIR system with filters (which uses the 200W HBO light), phase condenser, in-base filter system and a very hard to find epi/vertical light insert. The objectives are not Zeiss but would work well since they are 160mm TL. The power pack is very heavy so freight shipping might be needed.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CARL-ZEISS-PHO ... SwGOZTxXlM

JGardner

#5 Post by JGardner » Wed May 16, 2018 8:41 pm

Charles wrote:Here is a decent Universal for sale on ebay. The beauty of this set is, it has all the basics, Phototube, phase condenser, 12V 100W lighting system and in-base filters, only one objective but lots of inexpensive choices on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CARL-ZEISS-PHO ... SwBahVWpCD
Thanks for pointing out that particular scope. Which particular variant of the Universal is it? I think it must be the latest one since it has the plastic focusing knob instead of the all metal one?

One thing about Universals that I definitely don't grasp yet is the external boxes that are shown in some of the eBay auctions. I assume these boxes are external power supplies for the light sources--is that correct? How critical are these components? Are there any special requirements for driving the lamps beyond the required voltage and current? Starters, ballasts, etc?

Charles

#6 Post by Charles » Wed May 16, 2018 9:00 pm

Yes, this Universal was the latest one made the same time the Photomicroscope III was made and came with the plastic focus knobs as well as the plastic light port diaphragm with six iris blades instead of the all metal 13 blade iris diaphragms.

The boxes are either transformers to step down the voltage from dangerous 220/110V to safer 12V. The other box shown with the Universal, is the camera controller for the 35mm cameras which controlled film speed, shutter speed, etc. Some boxes as shown with the Photomicroscope II were both transformer and camera controller.

Charles

#7 Post by Charles » Wed May 16, 2018 9:06 pm

Also, You can use any regulator/transform which can step up the voltage from 6-12V for the tungsten/halogen lamps, but the HBO 200W mercury lamps use separate 110/220V regulator.

JGardner

#8 Post by JGardner » Wed May 16, 2018 9:24 pm

I found another Universal on eBay, which also appears to be the latest model:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CARL-ZEISS-MIC ... 1438.l2649

Based on the lamp housings, I'm assuming this model has epi illumination in addition to transmitted light. Is it possible to replace the complex-looking prism housing/objective turret with a simpler unit since I don't plan to use epi?

I can't tell what condenser this one has and the seller doesn't include a list of parts it comes with. Are the condensers common on this type of scope generally okay for brightfield?

Charles

#9 Post by Charles » Wed May 16, 2018 9:31 pm

That has the IIIRS epi-fluoro unit with both HBO and halogen lighting. The condenser is a Phase condenser and it also has a nice circular stage.

Here is one which just popped up with circular stage, phase condenser and looks like the better Neofluar objectives.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeiss-Lab-Micr ... SwQeha8HlI

I would pick this one of all the ones we have been looking at.

Hobbyst46

#10 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:59 pm

JGardner wrote:I found another Universal on eBay, which also appears to be the latest model:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CARL-ZEISS-MIC ... 1438.l2649

Based on the lamp housings, I'm assuming this model has epi illumination in addition to transmitted light. Is it possible to replace the complex-looking prism housing/objective turret with a simpler unit since I don't plan to use epi?
Please note, that one of the important advantages of the large Universal is that it is, indeed, very universal, at least in terms of 40-50 years ago: epi-illumination is great for darkfield ("epi-darkfield"), surface inspection, metallurgy and fluorescence. The latter is crucial for modern biology research but the former three are more important for average hobby use. However, if you give up fluorescence, you can later replace the HBO-200 with a decent halogen or LED source; and in the fluorescence unit above the nosepiece, pull out the cube, remove the excitation and emission filters, verify that the dichroic mirror has a cutoff at about 400nm (or replace it completely with a simple 50/50 beamsplitter) and you can enjoy the other options of epi-illumination.
Note: You can also stay with the HBO-200; I do not like it because it emits a lot of heat, one must add heat-absorbing filters and reflective shutters to the optical train, the bulb life time is short, it emits UV,...

P.S. I took a second look at the link, I am not sure it is an HBO-200. Looks more like an HBO-100. My above comments, however, are the same whether HBO 100, 200 and even 50, though the latter is less heat-trouble.
Last edited by Hobbyst46 on Wed May 16, 2018 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charles

#11 Post by Charles » Wed May 16, 2018 10:07 pm

That is a very good point. Also the IIIRS Fluoro unit also has an 'Open' selection which allows you to use regular transmitted light through the unit.

I also notice on that last ebay Zeiss I linked to, the 100X objective is not a Neofluar but a Plan 100X with an iris diaphragm which is used in darkfield. Also the phase condenser has a D setting which indicates it has a darkfield stop in the condenser.

Hobbyst46

#12 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:11 pm

All high pressure mercury (and Xenon) lamps have the same disadvantages in regards to average hobby use. Their great advantage is in fluorescence.

JGardner

#13 Post by JGardner » Sat May 19, 2018 3:40 am

After browsing eBay and other sites, it seems that the various models of the Zeiss Photomicroscope available for sale outnumber Universals.

Assuming I never intend to use the built-in camera in a Photomicroscope, are these microscopes essentially the same as a Universal? Is there anything about a Photomicroscope that would make it undesirable versus a Universal? Are there more components on a PM to go wrong?

photomicro

#14 Post by photomicro » Sat May 19, 2018 11:25 am

JGardner wrote:After browsing eBay and other sites, it seems that the various models of the Zeiss Photomicroscope available for sale outnumber Universals.

Assuming I never intend to use the built-in camera in a Photomicroscope, are these microscopes essentially the same as a Universal? Is there anything about a Photomicroscope that would make it undesirable versus a Universal? Are there more components on a PM to go wrong?
Essentially they are the same, though the tube head has differences and the lighting. The later Universals had a second (higher) light port for reflected (incident) lighting, whereas on the PM, the mechanism of the camera means this is not possible. To use incident lighting a sliding mechanism directed the light to the epi port.

Most components are common to both. Each went through various versions though.

BTW, I have sent you a PM too.

Mike