Zeiss Axioskop 50

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
JGardner

Zeiss Axioskop 50

#1 Post by JGardner » Wed May 23, 2018 1:12 am

Sorry for so many questions! Just as I think I've made up my mind to pursue a certain brand/model, something comes along that makes me think again.

I was all set on a Zeiss Universal when a co-worker of a friend said, over drinks, that his company is selling some surplus equipment and one item is a Zeiss Axioskop 50. I know this is a more modern microscope than a Universal, with infinity optics, etc., but that's about all I know. Is this microscope something worth pursuing, or should I continue my quest to locate a nice Universal?

einman

Re: Zeiss Axioskop 50

#2 Post by einman » Wed May 23, 2018 2:07 am

This is an opinion only. I have owned a Zeiss Universal and can say the scope is built like a tank. They generally come loaded with optional equipment and additional parts are relatively easy to find. The newer Zeiss scopes are not built nearly as solid. The bodies fade quite often, the knobs break/crack ( as is often the case on used ones) and infinity objectives are more expensive than the 160 TL's found on universal models.

From an optics stand point the universal is as good as the Zeiss Axioskop and if opted with planapos is hard to beat.

That is not to say the Axioskop is not a good scope if the price is right. However, recognize upgrading may be more costly.

I'm sure others can chime in.

Charles

Re: Zeiss Axioskop 50

#3 Post by Charles » Wed May 23, 2018 11:11 am

I would agree. It all depends on what is on the scope. If it is loaded (Phase, DIC, Neofluar or Apo objectives) and a good price, it would be a good option, but upgrading can be very expensive. Just the APlan infinity objectives cost $200-300 each. Neofluars, PlanApos, Phase, cost hundreds to thousands each and harder to find.