Leitz Orthoplan

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
JGardner

Leitz Orthoplan

#1 Post by JGardner » Sun May 27, 2018 5:50 pm

I haven't had much luck in finding a suitable Zeiss Universal, so have been looking at other options. After a lot of research, I came upon the Leitz Orthoplan as possibly something in the same league as a Universal (e.g. big, sturdy research stand).

I was pretty much set on a Universal, but the Orthoplan has been growing on me. Granted, it doesn't have the smooth, sexy curves of the Universal, but its solid, squared-off look exudes quality.

Are there any "gotchas" to look out for when shopping for an Orthoplan? I know these scopes use 170mm tube length objectives rather than the more common 160mm, but I don't consider that a problem as these objectives seem to be plentiful on eBay and other sources. Is there anything to look out for regarding condensers, the focusing mechanism, light sources, etc?

PeteM

Re: Leitz Orthoplan

#2 Post by PeteM » Sun May 27, 2018 6:50 pm

A few thoughts, based on limited information. I haven't owned an Orthoplan, but have had a dozen various Leitz Dialux (170mm tube) and Laborlux (S,D,11,12 -- 160mm tube) models.

The Dialux models had an amazing focus mechanism, BUT the fine focus was limited in range. This limits it in some very low power focus stacking work, if you plan on that. Not sure if the Orthoplan uses the same focus.

Overall, I think the more modern 160mm tube Leitz objectives are better (achro to achro, apo to apo) than their 170mm counterparts. They can be had with somewhat wider fields and likely better coatings. Not a huge difference, but if I were buying a Leitz, I'd try to set it up from the beginning with 160mm tube length objectives unless it came complete with an excellent 170mm set. As you may know, with the proper matching eyepieces this generally works out fine.

For me, the main advantages of an Orthoplan might be the easy incident light conversion, the interchangeable nosepieces, and a somewhat brighter lamp. For about the same money as an Orthoplan you could buy both a normal and an incident Leitz (or some other brand) and even add LED illumination if you later need it for high power phase, darkfield, etc.

I suspect, though, that the attraction is as much a massive high quality scope as the cost of getting various illumination options. And judging by the other Leitz models the Orthoplan will surely be well made. In my own limited experience, the Leitz scopes don't have a common failure mode (such as the broken small plastic gear in Nikon) -- just the usual need for removing and replacing 40+ year old grease. Phase setups are also easier to come by, again in my limited experience, than for Nikon (Labophot, Optiphot) and Olympus (BH2) models.

MikeA

#3 Post by MikeA » Tue May 29, 2018 6:43 pm

Sorry I'm a bit late replying to this message - been away doing one or another thing and it seems I am always trying to catch up!

I have a reasonable amount of experience with Orthoplans, currently have four full stands as well as had a number of others and most of the accessories. You might take a look at the article I did in 2006 for Micscape http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/art ... oplan.html

The biggest, and most common 'gotcha' one runs into buying an Orthoplan is the focus block being either very stiff or completely locked up. This is the direct result of the grease that Leitz used polymerizing over the years and turning into a very good equivalent to epoxy cement! Not something to be desired in a very fine gear driven mechanism with plastic (I believe nylon) gears driving Al and brass gears.

Not an irretrievable situation, but not something for a rank amateur. Being mindful replacement parts are essentially non-existent, any damage to the focusing block, (a real wonder in its design!) is enough to cause the stand to be useless.

I would ask if both the coarse and fine focusing dials move smoothly and easily, and dependent on the answer might give it a pass. If it is just 'stiff' (sorry, there is no real definitive measurement other that such ambiguous terms!) it can often be eased with careful application of heat (hot air gun) and/or application of a lubricant that can integrate with the old grease.

Let me know (best by PM) if there is anything I can do to help.
All the best,
Mike
'Nil Satis Nisi Optimum'

JGardner

#4 Post by JGardner » Tue May 29, 2018 8:39 pm

MikeA wrote:Sorry I'm a bit late replying to this message - been away doing one or another thing and it seems I am always trying to catch up!

I have a reasonable amount of experience with Orthoplans, currently have four full stands as well as had a number of others and most of the accessories. You might take a look at the article I did in 2006 for Micscape http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/art ... oplan.html
Thanks for your comments. Your Micscape article was one of the things that got me looking at Orthoplans.

I wasn't aware that the Orthoplan used plastic gears at all in the focusing mechanism, but I've only seen line drawings of its internals and not actual photos of the disassembled parts.

Since my first post on this subject I've made a winning bid on an Orthoplan on eBay and it should be arriving soon. The seller says the focusing mechanism "functions correctly". We shall see.

I'll post a link to the listing on eBay tonight when I get home. I'd like some help identifying its various components like the body tube (I think it's an FSA-55), the condenser, and the lamp housing.

JGardner

#5 Post by JGardner » Wed May 30, 2018 6:38 am

Here's a link to the Orthoplan that I bought on eBay. I'd appreciate any help in identifying the components from the listing photos.

Also would appreciate any advice on objective selection and how to power the lamp or replace it with an LED substitute.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leitz-Orthopla ... 7675.l2557

Hobbyst46

#6 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed May 30, 2018 12:46 pm

Congratulations! I saw the scope, excellent cosmetic condition, I am sure it functions well!

MikeA

#7 Post by MikeA » Wed May 30, 2018 1:20 pm

Hello!

It appears to me you are well started to having an excellent microscope, but you will need to add a number of things and which ones will be dependent on what you want to do with it.

The condenser appears to be a standard BF condenser, probably a 601 with 0.90 NA, the basic unit. The headpiece is likely either the FSA-GW or FSA-55, only difference being how much light is directed to the trinocular when the control is actuated.

Frankly the camera is essentially worthless - first it is silver halide technology that has been all but totally displaced by digital, and further that system requires a controller even to use with film. Perhaps there is a way you can adapt it for use with a digital camera, but I have not seen these used that way.

The lamp house appears to be a Leitz 100, a decent unit that will do fine with what is likely the included 12V 100W tungsten lamp holder. You will need to get a power unit for it. You might consider an aftermarket conversion such as those available from http://retrodiode.com/ It might end up being lower cost and more efficient than trying to find a power supply.

I have most of the manuals/brochures in PDF format and can forward them if you would like. You can find my email on the Orthoplan article at MicScape.

The very first thing you want to do is confirm the focusing mechanism is in good order.

If you have any questions you might want to contact me via PM.
All the best,
Mike
'Nil Satis Nisi Optimum'

Charles

#8 Post by Charles » Wed May 30, 2018 2:00 pm

Congratulations on your Orthoplan scope.

But I just have to ask, why did you decide to go with that model over the Zeiss Universal here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeiss-Lab-Micr ... 0011.m1850

It just seems to me you would have had a lot more going for you with the Universal than with the Orthoplan. It costs less with nothing else to buy to get it up and running and you would have had better optics (Neofluars), condenser (1.4 phase).

JGardner

#9 Post by JGardner » Wed May 30, 2018 5:44 pm

Charles wrote:But I just have to ask, why did you decide to go with that model over the Zeiss Universal here:
No particular reason. I wasn't really familiar with Leitz microscopes at all until last weekend when I read a few articles about them and came away very impressed with the Orthoplan. I'm sure the Universal is just as capable as the Orthoplan, and I'll eventually get one too.

The Orthoplan isn't as complete as that particular Universal, particularly with respect to the optics, but that'll give me the opportunity to build it from the ground up. Whether that's a good or bad thing, I guess time will tell.

Charles

#10 Post by Charles » Thu May 31, 2018 12:37 pm

If you haven't searched through past posts, John B (mrsonchus) also bought a Orthoplan about a year ago and it might be of interest seeing what he has done with it. Here are a couple of first ones he posted but there are others with lighting and accessories:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4464
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4565

JGardner

#11 Post by JGardner » Thu May 31, 2018 4:41 pm

Charles wrote:If you haven't searched through past posts, John B (mrsonchus) also bought a Orthoplan about a year ago and it might be of interest seeing what he has done with it. Here are a couple of first ones he posted but there are others with lighting and accessories:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4464
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4565
Thanks for the links, Charles.

Your previous post asking about that Universal got me to thinking about it again, so I ended up bidding on it and winning the auction, so now I have both an Orthoplan and a Universal on the way. I may end up selling one after trying them both, or I may keep both.

75RR

#12 Post by 75RR » Thu May 31, 2018 5:34 pm

Your previous post asking about that Universal got me to thinking about it again, so I ended up bidding on it and winning the auction, so now I have both an Orthoplan and a Universal on the way.
That is probably the best though not the cheapest way to compare microscopes ;)
Last edited by 75RR on Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Charles

#13 Post by Charles » Thu May 31, 2018 6:40 pm

Wow. Well, now you have two nice research microscopes and test them side by side and decide which is the best to keep, or as you said, keep them both.

Congratulations again!

MikeA

#14 Post by MikeA » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:28 am

Wow!

I just got done writing a response to your questions about the field diaphragm being frozen and suggested you would perhaps be better off returning the Orthoplan, but now I read you ended up buying the Universal as well! I would agree with Charles comment it would be nice to have two of the 'big gun' large research microscopes, but suggest you will be ahead of the game by selecting one maker and sticking with it.

Assuming that Universal lives up to its listing, only the more impetus for you to return the Orthoplan for a full refund based on it not being as listed, i.e. fully functional and usable.

As you know, I have been an Orthoplan devotee for many years, currently have four as well as many, many accessories/extras, but would suggest the Universal is every bit as good, and even better in a few areas. No question is is 'sexier!' Having the various ND and other filters in the base, available with the pull/push of a knob is fantastic, and the build quality is second to none.

If you still want an Orthoplan, there are many available in better configuration/equipped than the one you bought.
All the best,
Mike
'Nil Satis Nisi Optimum'

JGardner

#15 Post by JGardner » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:34 pm

MikeA wrote:Wow!

I just got done writing a response to your questions about the field diaphragm being frozen and suggested you would perhaps be better off returning the Orthoplan, but now I read you ended up buying the Universal as well! I would agree with Charles comment it would be nice to have two of the 'big gun' large research microscopes, but suggest you will be ahead of the game by selecting one maker and sticking with it.
When I get involved in a new hobby I tend to jump in quickly and don't have much patience, so I tend to end up buying whatever's currently available and not waiting for something better to come along. I usually end of selling what I don't like and keeping what I do. Perhaps that'll be the case here as well.
As you know, I have been an Orthoplan devotee for many years, currently have four as well as many, many accessories/extras, but would suggest the Universal is every bit as good, and even better in a few areas. No question is is 'sexier!' Having the various ND and other filters in the base, available with the pull/push of a knob is fantastic, and the build quality is second to none.
The Universal arrives later this week and I'll be able to evaluate it closely when it does. I know it won't be perfect either--the photos in the eBay listing show some corrosion on the stage controls, some scratches, and the barrels of the objectives won't win any beauty contests. The listing does say it's in excellent condition, but I've experienced grade inflation before when buying from eBay, so I'm pragmatic about these things. The listing also said it's had a "Recent Biomed Inspection!!", whatever the heck that means...
If you still want an Orthoplan, there are many available in better configuration/equipped than the one you bought.
What should I be looking to pay for an Orthoplan in excellent cosmetic and working condition reasonably equipped?