LOMO Water Immersion Objectives on B&L Galen

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
einman

LOMO Water Immersion Objectives on B&L Galen

#1 Post by einman » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:50 pm

Ok so I mounted a set of LOMO Water Immersion objectives on a Galen 2 microscope. This scope I recently purchased for about $20. I added a condenser from another partial scope as the original condenser had issues. Next I will replace the stage with one better cosmetically from the other Galen I have for parts. The only downside to this project..I dropped one of the LOMO WI objectives, a 70X/1.23 APO and broke it. I had 2 but had intended to sell one. So this project cost more than I had intended. :shock:

The images are quite good. This will allow me to get nice images without having to "oil" the scope. This eliminates clean-up when switching from a high mag to a lower mag. ALL the objectives use water so no clean-up between objectives. In addition no contamination of lower mags.

This scope does not have a trinoc. But I do have an adapter so I will be able to take pictures by mounting my T3I to an eyetube. I will post pictures later. That is once I calm down from having dropped one of the objectives. AAAAAGH.

Last edited by einman on Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

75RR

Re: LOMO Water Immersion Objectives on B&L Galen

#2 Post by 75RR » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:58 pm

Water immersion sounds like a sensible compromise. What magnification are they?
Are the collars on the objectives used to compensate for cover slip thickness?

At $20 Dollars I think we could all use some buying tips from you!
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

einman

#3 Post by einman » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:27 pm

75RR wrote:Water immersion sounds like a sensible compromise. What magnification are they?

There is 10X spotting objective dry
30X/0.90 WI
70X/1.23 APO WI
85X/1.0 WI

I also have a 40X/0.75 WI not mounted

The 30X has an iris for darkfield use.
the 70X and 85X both have collars to compensate for cover slip thickness

The Galen needed a bulb and the condenser leaves were jammed. I rebuilt the condenser but the adjusting screw broke off shortly after. So I salvaged a condenser from another Parts scope I had. This particular Galen was built in Japan. It is a Galen 2 not a 3. The 3 was built in China I believe.

Crater Eddie

#4 Post by Crater Eddie » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:30 pm

75RR wrote:At $20 Dollars I think we could all use some buying tips from you!
My thoughts exactly!
That EAB 10 looks like the one I have on my Multiscope, I'll be interested in what you think of it.
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

einman

#5 Post by einman » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:39 pm

LOMO objectives are very good comparable to Zeiss in many instances.

Crater Eddie

#6 Post by Crater Eddie » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:46 pm

Looking forward to photos taken with the WI objectives!
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

einman

#7 Post by einman » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:22 pm

Oh I also had to remove the set screw which prevented the stage from rising too high and hitting the original B&L objectives. This was necessary given the LOMO objectives were much shorter.

einman

#8 Post by einman » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:40 am

Here are some first try shots. Not having used this camera in a while I find myself playing with settings. These photos are definitely not optimal nor representative of the images as seen through the eyepiece. The preferred adapter had some type of glare. I could not isolate the cause so went to another adapter which has a 2X lens. I generally do not like this adapter as it generally is not as crisp as using no lens. The lighting was off as well. The camera was on Auto. Increasing the ISO and switching the lighting to tungsten improved the image a good deal. Interestingly photographing using the Leitz laborlux is much easier and gives better images. Not because of the objectives, though that no doubt contributes, but more due to the fact it has a trinocular and allows me to attach the camera without any extra lenses in the path between the objective and the camera. This is true of the AO's as well. I really do not like having that extra lens in the adapter as it adds a layer of complexity and distortion. Probably because it is not of the highest quality.

Last edited by einman on Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

einman

#9 Post by einman » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:48 am

Once I get the camera ironed out I will post additional photos. These are not very crisp.
I may end up switching these objectives to a dynoptic or dynazoom with a trinocular which may allow me to use the adapter without the lens.

einman

#10 Post by einman » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:57 am

75RR wrote:Water immersion sounds like a sensible compromise. What magnification are they?

In addition the use of water allows better resolution when the specimen sits below an aqueous layer as if often the case when examining living organisms. The aqueous layer can distort the image obtained using oil. So though the na of the WI objective may be lower it can present a better image than an oil objective with a higher na.

Given I spend most of my time staring at protozoan in aqueous medium these objectives are ideal. Few individuals realize the value. However if you look at companies like Nikon and Olympus you can see they are investing more into WI objectives for just this reason. WI objectives can easily cost thousands of dollars. LOMO developed and offered excellent WI objectives at a reasonable price.

einman

#11 Post by einman » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:02 am

Added a 60X/1.1. Beautiful objective. Does not have a collar but still beautiful images. I had to remove the 10X though. Will decide this week whther to move them to a B&L with a trinocular for better photos.