Olympus Objective Help

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Grahame

Olympus Objective Help

#1 Post by Grahame » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:03 am

Hi folks,
Does anyone recognise these Olympus objectives.
Does anyone remember using them and have comments on the ca etc.
I assume that they are the ones at the top of this page of Alan Wood's labeled letters (none) ?
http://www.alanwood.net/photography/oly ... tives.html
Possibly even older.
Any idea as to the age of them ?
Many thanks
Grahame
Attachments
Olympus-Mag.jpg
Olympus-Mag.jpg (110.26 KiB) Viewed 2188 times
Olympus-Brand.jpg
Olympus-Brand.jpg (116.1 KiB) Viewed 2188 times

Hobbyst46

Re: Olympus Objective Help

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:54 am

To me they look much older than the ones at the topof the page in the link. I think they are from the era of Olympus E or F microscopes and the early Vanox models. 1960's perhaps. As such I belive they are achromats of a short parfocality distance of about 36mm, JIS, not 45 mm DIN objectives. Also the field of view would be 18 I think, NOT 20-22-26 as in more modern microscopes.
To double check the parfocality distance please check the length of the 40x and 60x objective from the tip(front) to the top of the shoulder, just before the thread, that is the visible borderline between the objective and nosepiece. If it is 36mm, then indeed they are short parfocality objectives.
Their optical performance as far as I recall was OK.

Grahame

#3 Post by Grahame » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:34 am

Thanks Hobbyst46
These are a couple of objectives for sale on a local Ebay equivalent
So im trying to work out what they are and whether they may be a bit better than the modern chinese acros I already have
Also of course trying to add a bit to my knowledge as I go along :)
I'm new to microscope optics
Cheers for your help

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:24 am

@Grahame
Glad to help.
Just recalled that your microscope is a Wild 20. If it takes DIN objectives, 45mm parfocal (as I believe), it will be likely impossible to focus with short parfocality (JIS, 36mm) objectives. You then need to look for DIN objectives for 160mm tube length. The 160/ is marked on the objective; but DIN/JIS is NOT marked on the objective AFAIK. One must check in catalogues/brochures.