Ortholux I Unique Nosepiece

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
ebenbildmicroscopy

Ortholux I Unique Nosepiece

#1 Post by ebenbildmicroscopy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:39 am

I'm an Ortholux I hoarder and I'm wondering if any fellow Ortho collectors have ever run across one of these "428" nosepieces before? I love the look of it because it's buff (1970ish) chrome and more reminiscent of the Orthoplan/Ortho II designs - ie, numbered slots, slider slot, 5 position, internal spring that engages the position detents. Surprisingly, however, it still uses the 170mm tube length relay lens although the Ortho I infinity relay lens fits it beautifully.

I had to buy a complete Ortholux I just to acquire this nosepiece and lurked around Fleabay for about a year before I paid the "Buy It Now" fortune it cost. It came with a very pristine 40X Phaco (Zernike style) objective and someone had rigged the stage up to be controlled by X and Y axis servo motors... the stage is a plumbers nightmare but an oddity none-the-less... a bit like looking at the Elephant Man - you don't wanna see the spectacle but can't divert your eyes either!

I would love to find another one of these nosepieces, but, in twenty years of collecting, this is the only one I've EVER seen. If someone could tell me more about it, I will be ever grateful!
Attachments
rsz_sam_5155.jpg
rsz_sam_5155.jpg (71.39 KiB) Viewed 2059 times
rsz_sam_5146.jpg
rsz_sam_5146.jpg (79 KiB) Viewed 2060 times
rsz_sam_5150.jpg
rsz_sam_5150.jpg (84.87 KiB) Viewed 2060 times
rsz_sam_5152.jpg
rsz_sam_5152.jpg (88.63 KiB) Viewed 2060 times
rsz_1rsz_sam_5151.jpg
rsz_1rsz_sam_5151.jpg (81.61 KiB) Viewed 2060 times
JeffO, aka "Ortho amore"