Missing parts.

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
TheHelleri

Missing parts.

#1 Post by TheHelleri » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:38 am

Was given a microscope about 8 months ago. Been using it maybe once a week. But There seems to be some things missing. Slots in the case with absent parts. Wondering what those are and where I can get them. Here are some pics of the empty slots https://imgur.com/a/zCrLk62

75RR

Re: Missing parts.

#2 Post by 75RR » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:37 am

Hi TheHelleri, welcome.
I can distinguish what could end up being the wording 'Carl Zeiss Jena' on the box but a photo of the microscope itself (the microscope ID is half the battle) and one showing all of the interior of the box would help in the ID of the missing parts.
Attachments
Jena.jpg
Jena.jpg (66.23 KiB) Viewed 3701 times
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

TheHelleri

#3 Post by TheHelleri » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:08 am

Okay. I took a lot more pictures and uploaded the high res versions (funny enough the camera on my phone says zeiss as well). https://imgur.com/a/YfGjPJU

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:50 am

Here is the link to the article in which this image appears: http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/art ... ereo2a.pdf

What you have is a Stereoscope rather than a Microscope.
This is a similar one that has much the same parts.
Perhaps someone else can add a little more information.

"Fig. 24 shows a Zeiss, Jena stereo Greenough design about three decades later, c. 1930/31. Stand XA is one of the variations of Stand X which was sold in different configurations depending on use."
Attachments
Jena-Stand-XA.jpg
Jena-Stand-XA.jpg (65.55 KiB) Viewed 3675 times
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

TheHelleri

#5 Post by TheHelleri » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:04 pm

Thanks. Already I can see on that table it has that I'm missing a tine/clip (I suspected that to be the case though without another example of one there was no way to be sure of it). If I am understanding the article correctly, the missing insert lens piece is called an object set. So yes already this is a lot of information I didn't have before. Also for this make, type and age can someone give me an idea of what I might expect to fairly pay for components to fill in what's missing with mine?

TheHelleri

#6 Post by TheHelleri » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:56 am

Update: I came to realize that while the image of the microscope already presented here is very similar. It is not nearly identical. There are a lot of small details that are different. But I've since found this image of an engraving...

It appears to be an exact match in every detail. And it's from Zeiss Microscopy Flickr account. Wherein the company itself (or whomever manages their Flickr at least) claims it to be an 1896 Greenough-type Stereo Microscope by Carl Zeiss Jena. I've left a comment inquiring about parts information. Hopefully I get a response. So I'm that much closer to my quest for parts! :D

apochronaut

#7 Post by apochronaut » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:35 pm

TheHelleri wrote:Was given a microscope about 8 months ago. Been using it maybe once a week. But There seems to be some things missing. Slots in the case with absent parts. Wondering what those are and where I can get them. Here are some pics of the empty slots https://imgur.com/a/zCrLk62
From top to bottom.

slot for accessory stage
slot for arm rests
slot for a missing objective pair
hole for missing stage clip

TheHelleri

#8 Post by TheHelleri » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:19 pm

Thanks!