AO/Reichert StereoStar 580 Help

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
MikeA

AO/Reichert StereoStar 580 Help

#1 Post by MikeA » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:43 pm

Hello all,

I've been away from microscopy for a bit and recently started in again. One of the things I have to deal with is remembering (!) some details - being mid-70s slows down the thinking processes.

At any rate, I am getting my microscopes set up for photography (I specialize in Leitz Orthoplans and currently have four with, I believe, every possible illumination method) but also have an AO StereoStar Zoom Model 580 that has the third tube to mount a camera.

Much to my chagrin, I just realized there apparently is a built -in filter wheel, but had no idea what the filters might be. (I've had this microscope for possibly 15 years or so, just never did much with it.)

Can anyone help me with information/manual on the StereoStar 580?

Thanks in advance for any input.

All the best,
Mike Andre
All the best,
Mike
'Nil Satis Nisi Optimum'

einman

Re: AO/Reichert StereoStar 580 Help

#2 Post by einman » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:45 pm

Mike- I can send you the manual. PM me your e-mail address.

MikeA

#3 Post by MikeA » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:12 pm

Einman -

Thanks for sending that info, and sorry for the screw-up with the email address! :oops:

Now, as mentioned, if I can only figure out what the filters are in the 583 coaxial illuminator!

All the best,
Mike
All the best,
Mike
'Nil Satis Nisi Optimum'

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:32 pm

I guess your instrument has both the trinocular tube attachment as well as the coaxial illuminator attachment. The filter wheel down below the illuminator, as it enters into the body of the microscope has 5 locations. One is open and the other are various filters to provide contrast adjustments to the illumination beam, mainly for specific samples associated with intergrated circuits. Rotating the wheel clockwise, as you look down on it from the 45 degree angle of the illuminator housing you come to light blue, red, green, then yellow.

MikeA

#5 Post by MikeA » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:25 pm

Hello!

Yes, this one has both the camera port as well as the coaxial illuminator (believe it is #583).

Checking the filters by projection on a piece of white paper on the stage - clear/white, blue, bright red, dark green, and bright yellow as you indicated. Now the question is exactly what wave lengths are these? Perhaps not necessary but it would be nice to know.

Thanks for all the help.
All the best,
Mike
All the best,
Mike
'Nil Satis Nisi Optimum'

apochronaut

#6 Post by apochronaut » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:47 pm

I think those wavelengths are somewhat variable, depending on the parameters the objectives require, and which deficiencies they are made to compensate for. Achromats are corrected for spherical aberration in the "green wavelength" but that would be design specific. Pick up 5 green filters from different sources and they will all slightly different and so forth with the blue daylight filters, etc. I don't know what AO needed to do with those filters for the 580 but they would be close to the standard target wavelengths for most other achromat systems.

mich82

#7 Post by mich82 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:35 pm

Please can I get StereoStar 580 manual?
Last edited by mich82 on Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mich82

#9 Post by mich82 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:14 pm

. Thanks.