Zeiss Standard Phase Condenser Parts Diagram

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
mnmyco

Zeiss Standard Phase Condenser Parts Diagram

#1 Post by mnmyco » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:14 pm

Hi,

Does anyone have photos or information on disassembly and assembly of a Zeiss Standard phase contrast condenser? I can post the model number tomorrow when I go back to work. I need to figure out where a ball bearing that fell out of the inside belongs. I am trying to reassemble after a sloppy cleaning.

Thanks,

MNMyco

75RR

Re: Zeiss Standard Phase Condenser Parts Diagram

#2 Post by 75RR » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:39 am

I believe all the Zeiss Standard Phase condensers are of a similar design.
The ball bearing sits atop a small spring. A little grease helps to smooth its running and keeps it in place during assembly.

In the first photo you can see it peeking out from an assembled phase condenser.
In the second photo we see it sitting on the spring in a disassembled phase condenser.
Attachments
Ball Bearing II.jpg
Ball Bearing II.jpg (96.67 KiB) Viewed 3794 times
Ball Bearing.jpg
Ball Bearing.jpg (70.95 KiB) Viewed 3794 times
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:05 pm

@ImperatoRex
Thanks for these links. Valuable hard-to-get information for Zeiss users.

KurtM

#5 Post by KurtM » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:46 am

For whatever it's worth: About a year ago I had the ball bearing jump the tracks on my phase-DIC turret condenser (on a Zeiss WL stand), and I had little trouble taking it apart, figuring out how it all works, and putting it back together again (and it has been functioning perfectly ever since). The only tricky part is to use a dab of grease to hold the ball bearing in place when reassembling, and if you do that, there's nothing tricky about it at all. It's a straightforward and elegantly simple design.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

mnmyco

#6 Post by mnmyco » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:36 am

75RR wrote:I believe all the Zeiss Standard Phase condensers are of a similar design.
The ball bearing sits atop a small spring. A little grease helps to smooth its running and keeps it in place during assembly.

In the first photo you can see it peeking out from an assembled phase condenser.
In the second photo we see it sitting on the spring in a disassembled phase condenser.
Hey,

Thanks for this. The condenser is so gummed up with old grease I did not notice the spring in that hole. Course I also did not lose the spring because the grease kept it in place.

Thanks to all the other posts as well.

Took me so long to respond because I forgot my password, and I forgot which email I used.

mnmyco