ISI/Akashi WB-6 scanning electron microscope

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
TOTAL IDIOT

ISI/Akashi WB-6 scanning electron microscope

#1 Post by TOTAL IDIOT » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:51 am

Hello all, this is my first post here. I've always been into microscopy, and actually took a course on electron microscopy - with a fun lab section ;) - at university a few years ago.

Recently, to my great surprise, I came across an estate sale with, you guessed it, a scanning electron microscope. Specifically, an ISI/Akashi WB-6 model.

I'm doing as much research as I can, however, information on this model is VERY slim. I'd like to get a manual so I can try using it to assess its condition and required repairs to start. I'd also like to learn the value of these to inform a potential purchase.

Can anyone recommend a contact - person, business, or otherwise - who may be knowledgeable about SEMs, or who could point me in the right direction? I haven't even been able to find a website for ISI (International Scientific Instruments), or Akashi Seisakusho ltd.

Thank you, any and all help is appreciated, I'll post an update on the results.

sailor_ed

Re: ISI/Akashi WB-6 scanning electron microscope

#2 Post by sailor_ed » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:22 pm

I just ran across this post and my information may be a bit late and a bit sketchy but here goes.

I ran an SEM lab in the'70s thru '90s. I believe the ISI is of this era. If memory serves it was a "desktop" instrument. If it has a column length of less than a meter then this would be the case. I caution that I have no personal experience with the ISI but I remember the ads and the hype!

By reputation it did a reasonable job for what it was but it was not a real substitute for a dedicated lab grade scope. As has been mentioned in other posts SEM's of this era were analog and typically used Polaroid film for recording. The actual scan was slow and the film acted as a sort of "integrating" device. (there must be a better way of explaining it!?) An SEM also requires alot of auxiliary equipment: a sputter coater, critical point dryer, vacuum pumps, cooling water, supply of argon and nitrogen. Etc!

Bottom line: forget an amateur SEM of this era.

Now a TEM.......!