Can someone recommend please a microscope that can view deep inside skin ,at least 2 c"m deep please.

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Dan91

Can someone recommend please a microscope that can view deep inside skin ,at least 2 c"m deep please.

#1 Post by Dan91 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:27 am

Also mods ,Links to do it yoursels or Build your own microscope or any other ideas or innovations would be welcomed.
Thanks and good day all :D

MichaelG.

Re: Can someone recommend please a microscope that can view deep inside skin ,at least 2 c"m deep please.

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:34 am

Dan

Unless I have completely mis-understood the question in your subject line ...

This might be a good place to start:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CT_scan

... What are you trying to observe ?
... Living or dead tissue ?
... etc.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Hobbyst46

Re: Can someone recommend please a microscope that can view deep inside skin ,at least 2 c"m deep please.

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:46 am

Human skin is less than 0.5cm thick AFAIK, whale skin is 35cm thick according to Wikipedia. Human skin is very faintly transparent to visible light. Inside tissues are probably even less transparent. So objects that lie "2 cm inside skin" are not for visible light microscopy but can be viewed with other radiation types, at certain resolutions. These are sophisticated imaging machines, quite outside the DIY world...

Dan91

#5 Post by Dan91 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:12 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:Human skin is less than 0.5cm thick AFAIK, whale skin is 35cm thick according to Wikipedia. Human skin is very faintly transparent to visible light. Inside tissues are probably even less transparent. So objects that lie "2 cm inside skin" are not for visible light microscopy but can be viewed with other radiation types, at certain resolutions. These are sophisticated imaging machines, quite outside the DIY world...
First of all Hello Hobbyst46 and thanks for your answer :)...also thanks for all the other replys :).

Ok hobbyst lets say we are talking about normal human skin which is less than 0.5 cm but we talk on its highest depth which is close to 0.5cm as u wrote.
I just exaggerated when i wrote 2cm because i wanted to be sure we cover the human skin depth at its max depth.
Well which kind of microscopes do u recommend in such case ... i will be happy to hear about as many types of microscopes as possible please.

---------
And MichaelG im trying to observe living tissue and u are most welcome to joing the continue of this conversation according to the info i added here...:)
Thanks and have a nice day all:)

Hobbyst46

#6 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:06 pm

Hello Dan
Dan91 wrote:Ok hobbyst lets say we are talking about normal human skin which is less than 0.5 cm but we talk on its highest depth which is close to 0.5cm as u wrote.
If I understand correctly, you would like to explore human skin non-invasively. I know almost nothing about it, but, as mentioned before, human skin is not transparent to visible light. However, by using longer wavelength light, skin can be penetrated. You can search Wikipedia for biomedical imaging of tissue. I just found an example which you might find interesting, a recent article:

"Imaging mitochondrial dynamics in human skin reveals depth-dependent hypoxia and malignant potential for diagnosis"
by Dimitra Pouli1, Mihaela Balu2, Carlo A. Alonzo1, Zhiyi Liu1, Kyle P. Quinn1,3, Francisca Rius-Diaz4, Ronald M. Harris5, Kristen M. Kelly5, Bruce J. Tromberg2 and Irene Georgakoudi1,*

Science Translational Medicine 30 Nov 2016:
Vol. 8, Issue 367, pp. 367ra169
DOI: 10.1126/scitranslmed.aag2202

They used multiphoton fluorescence microscopy to view the full thickness of human skin.
I suppose there are infrared microscopes that penetrate somewhat into the skin.

P.S. Here is a link to another example of application of that microscopy:
https://www.bioopticsworld.com/articles ... -body.html

P.P.S. And here an article which may be remote from your ambitions, since it is based on reflected radiation, but still...

"Reflectance Confocal Microscopy of Skin In Vivo: From Bench to Bedside"
by Milind Rajadhyaksha, PhD,* Ashfaq Marghoob, MD, Anthony Rossi, MD, Allan C Halpern, MD, and Kishwer S. Nehal, MD

Lasers Surg Med. Author manuscript; available in PMC 2017 Aug 30.
Published in final edited form as:
Lasers Surg Med. 2017 Jan; 49(1): 7–19.
Published online 2016 Oct 27. doi: 10.1002/lsm.22600
PMCID: PMC5575825
NIHMSID: NIHMS887650
PMID: 27785781

wstenberg

#7 Post by wstenberg » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:09 pm

Some tips on direct observation through human skin with a standard microscope. From the American Journal of Physiology (1912). The entire article is available online and gives a lot more details on viewing blood vessels in intact skin, for the purposing of diagnosing various diseases. Interesting.
"Method of observing the blood vessels. — TO obtain a view of the most superficial blood vessels of the human skin, it is only necessary to put a drop of glycerine or transparent oil on it, and examine by a strong light with a microscope. One can see the capillaries, even _ with a hand lens magnifying ten times, but higher powers give better pictures. Although one can use an ordinary microscope, a Zeiss binocular microscope, on account of the large field and working distance which it affords, is of great service. The heavy stand Xb enables the microscope to be given any desired position, and is an in valuable adjunct. Eyepiece No. 2, with objectives No. a1, a2, a3, magnifying ten, twenty-four, and thirty-five times, are the most serviceable. Probably powers much higher than these cannot be used to advantage in experiments to determine the blood pressure. One looks down on the blood vessels, and they and the capillary loops which rise from them towards the surface, do not lie in the same plane. Moreover, when the pressure comes on the skin, it is apt to yield somewhat, and one must, even with a magnification of twenty-four, alter the focus somewhat to allow the changes which the pressure produces. In order to apply the pressure vertically to the skin, by direct application of weights, the microscope must be placed a little to one side, and tilted at an angle. The Zeiss stand Xb makes this possible. This tilting of the microscope is an advantage, not only because it puts it out of the way, but because it enables one to look at the capillaries somewhat from the side, and to see the little loops better. The papillae of the skin also show well from this point of view."
Last edited by wstenberg on Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

wstenberg

#8 Post by wstenberg » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:17 pm

Citation:

THE BLOOD PRESSURE IN THE ARTERIOLES, CAPILLARIES, AND SMALL VEINS OF THE HUMAN SKIN. By Warren Plimpton Lombard, page 335
NO. III, JANUARY I, I9I2.
THE AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PHYSIOLOGY VOLUME XX I X.

Interesting, Might give it a try. I have the Zeiss A1 and A2 objectives around here somewhere. Here is the link to the article.

https://play.google.com/books/reader?id ... pg=GBS.PR6
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

abednego1995

#9 Post by abednego1995 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:59 am

Well, 2cm deep would be very difficult with visible wavelengths...
There's a method called Optical Coherence Tomography, essentially a 2 beam-interference microscope using highly coherent light to "see" in skin up to maybe 1-2mm.

There used to be a company called ISIS (...oops!) in Germany making these machines, but it seems they went out of business in 2010.

Why not just use ultra-sound? Sure, it depends on what kind of resolution you want though.

John

MichaelG.

#10 Post by MichaelG. » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:06 am

wstenberg wrote: Here is the link to the article.

https://play.google.com/books/reader?id ... pg=GBS.PR6
Thanks for the link, William

Unfortunately, I have failed to access the referenced eBook via Google Play 'Books' on both an Android device and the iOS App on iPad.
... Perhaps it is only avaiable in the US
... Grateful if someone in the UK could check, please.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

wstenberg

#11 Post by wstenberg » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:17 pm

Ok here is another link for the article on looking into the skin with a regular microscope. Interesting article...

https://doi.org/10.1152/ajplegacy.1912.29.3.335

If this doesn't work, let me know and I can attach a PDF.
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

MichaelG.

#12 Post by MichaelG. » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:31 pm

wstenberg wrote:Ok here is another link for the article on looking into the skin with a regular microscope. Interesting article...

https://doi.org/10.1152/ajplegacy.1912.29.3.335

If this doesn't work, let me know and I can attach a PDF.
Thanks for the additional link, William [both here and via P.M.]

I was [predictably] hoping to avoid the $25 fee for downloading from physiology.org
... I may be able to access this via the University Library, but haven't yet the opportunity to check.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

wstenberg

#13 Post by wstenberg » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:08 pm

OK, I found another article about looking deep into intact skin with a microscope. This reference is a little more modern.

"Multiphoton Microscopy in Neuroscience" Helmchen F, Wang SSH, & Denk W. in Fujimoto JG & Farkas DL; Biomedical Optical Imaging Oxford University Press (2009).

Looks pretty intreesting!
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar