How to clean the optics and the microscope?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Reza

How to clean the optics and the microscope?

#1 Post by Reza » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:09 am

My microscope has not arrived yet, however, upon arrival it needs cleaning. It is a Krüss Optronic MBL 2100 (see the link to pictures below).
How can I clean the eyepieces and the objectives without damaging them?
Are there specific tools and detergents made for this purpose?
The stage itself looks dirty to me. How can I clean the stage?
I was thinking first washing the stage with water and then rinse it with 99% ethanol to prevent rusting.
I could not find a manual for this model. Does anybody have a manual for this microscope.

Here are the pictures from ebay (scroll down the page to see the pictures):
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Mikroskop-A-Kru ... true&rt=nc

Hobbyst46

Re: How to clean the optics and the microscope?

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:57 am

Congratulations! I do not know Kruss products, but from the photos and Wikipedia site, it appears you got yourself a quality microscope at a bargain price. Moreover, it appears to be in great cosmetic shape, and fairly clean! So I would avoid overduw cleaning.

I would start by removing the slight dust and fingertip marks from the metal surfaces, using a soft cloth, or a soft brush/air blower bulb combo (camera cleaning tool). You might want to wipe the stage and slide holder with a soft cloth and 70% ethanol (add drop-wise), to remove any remains of previous biological stuff. Air blow the dust away from the optics (glass surfaces). Then go ahead and inspect the mechanical and optical features, is the focusing smooth etc. Only after you are sure that the scope needs no technical-mechanical adjustments or fixing, consider further cleaning - and only if it is essential. Check the images through the three ports of the trino head. If neccessary, I would clean the optics with lens tissue after breathing on it (to coat with condensed water droplets). or, if that is not satisfactory, with a Q-tip slightly dipped into isopropyl alcohol, very gentle wipes - no rubbing. Do not use acetone, paint thinner, toluene, xylene, or any harsh household cleaning materials. If you suspect corrosion, post photos of the suspect point in the forum, to consult and verify.
Reza wrote:I was thinking first washing the stage with water and then rinse it with 99% ethanol to prevent rusting
I would avoid WASHING or RINSING. Just gentle treatment, using liquids just to wet, not flood.

Other sources - for example "The Clean Microscope (PDF) - ZEISS Group" available on the internet.

Good luck with your new microscope.
Last edited by Hobbyst46 on Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

MichaelG.

#3 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:06 am

Too many 'projects'

MichaelG.

#4 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:10 am

Hobbyst46 wrote:Other sources - for example "The Clean Microscope (PDF) - ZEISS Group" available on the internet.
http://www.well.ox.ac.uk/_asset/file/th ... oscope.pdf
Too many 'projects'