Info this Olympus Turret Condenser

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
jimur

Info this Olympus Turret Condenser

#1 Post by jimur » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:11 pm

JIM_7346.JPG
JIM_7346.JPG (155.53 KiB) Viewed 3299 times
JIM_7347.JPG
JIM_7347.JPG (167.1 KiB) Viewed 3299 times
Anyone familiar with this condenser? With very limited experience I believe it to be a combination of PhaCo and Hoffman illumination. I would like to disassemble and clean it. I'm fairly competent mechanically but certainly don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I have no idea of it's value but don't want to destroy it in an attempt to learn how to clean and service it. I really don't need it for phase contrast as my Olympus IM has accessories which allow a different system for PhaCo. I'm not familiar with Modulation(Hoffman?) contrast but my understanding is it requires special somewhat expensive or possibly DIY (?) objectives. Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated.
"You're never too old to have a happy childhood"
Leitz Wetzlar SM-LUX
Olympus IM
Canon 450D

PeteM

Re: Info this Olympus Turret Condenser

#2 Post by PeteM » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:53 am

I think you have it right -- you'd need the matching and hard-to-affordably-find objectives.

If you plan to sell it, might want to leave it as found?

There's another thread currently running about the results of Hoffman Modulation Contrast. -- might help you judge if you want to complete this. Personally, I find components like this somewhat like the curious end of a ball of string -- there's a desire to follow it to the end. And by the time you've reached that end, too often more time and money spent than if you had begun with a desire to buy a HMC microscope complete? There's some fun and something to be learned along the way, though.

jimur

#3 Post by jimur » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:44 am

Thanks for your input PeteM. I agree with your statements. I've chased many rabbits into some pretty deep holes over the years learning and having fun along the way as well as feeling the disappointment of both expense and failure. Most often fear of failure gives way to my innate desire to clean and refurbish things like this. The condenser has two polarizer lens. I think I've read some where in passing that the objective modulators can be a diy project. I've been searching for that info but as yet haven't found it. Selling the condenser is a viable option but hate to do so without a fairly thorough cleaning and as mentioned I have no idea of it's value. I hate to try and base that on ebay microscopy accessories. lol, What a treacherous thing, this peaceful pass time.
Leitz Wetzlar SM-LUX
Olympus IM
Canon 450D

bphuber

#4 Post by bphuber » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:46 am

What a coincidence! I just acquired a similar condenser on a BH scope that also came with 3 Hofffman objectives in pretty rough shape. But my condenser lacks the polarizing section yours has. Mine has a 1.25 condenser.
In addition, my condenser lacks the alignment screws on the sides, but each plate has an adjustment control on the bottom.
I'm thinking that the condenser will work, but the objectives are really bad...
Attachments
Olympus Modulation Contrast Condenser Bottom-small.jpg
Olympus Modulation Contrast Condenser Bottom-small.jpg (34.39 KiB) Viewed 2990 times
Olympus Modulation Contrast Condenser top-small.jpg
Olympus Modulation Contrast Condenser top-small.jpg (51.89 KiB) Viewed 2990 times

jimur

#5 Post by jimur » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:12 am

I realize now there are a few of these type condensers listed on ebay although I'm not sure of a market. I'm still uncertain as to what to do with mine. I have enough components to put together an Olympus IM model minus objectives though I have no need of a second one.
I imagine these components will just sit and collect dust for a while.
Leitz Wetzlar SM-LUX
Olympus IM
Canon 450D