Opinions on Jenalab microscope please

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Nicksmith

Opinions on Jenalab microscope please

#1 Post by Nicksmith » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:44 pm

Hi Guys I'm considering this as a new toy could I please have some opinions on quality and application for diatoms? Are the older ones better and if so which and why?

Many thanks!

https://www.edanco.com/microscopes/9-pl ... &results=1

PeteM

Re: Opinions on Jenalab microscope please

#2 Post by PeteM » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:59 am

The only older "Jena" microscopes and optics I've owned were built in East Germany after WWII and before reunification.

One was a mid range stand of average build quality and a sort of "modern" squared off design. This had finite optics. I'd rate it worse than Nikon, Olympus, Leitz, and Zeiss West Germany of the era. Not bad, but not something to seek out.

I also have a set of Zeiss Jena "GF" (wide field) plan phase contrast infinity achromats with the 25mm threads and longer-than-DIN bodies and multiple phase rings. These gave good images when fitted to a Leica DMLS and the closest thing I could find for matching eyepieces. However, they lacked the contrast of modern objectives, perhaps because I was using them in brightfield mode (not having matching phase rings for all but the 10x). They also seemed to have a lot of elements; without benefit of the latest coatings. Others have raved about these objectives, though.

I'd hazard a guess that your linked microscope would be a bit better mechanically and significantly better optically to their older East German cousins; but it also seems slightly expensive for a used microscope.

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:12 am

Hi Nick,
I don't have a Jenalab but I have used one shortly and had a very good impression from it. It has 25mm wide field optics which can be a big plus if you like and need it. A member of our group bought one new when they became cheaper due to production changes and he wouldn't have spend this much money on a new instrument if it were not exceptionally good.
I have no idea how good the price is - there are not many Jenalabs on the market.

Bob

Nicksmith

#4 Post by Nicksmith » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:38 am

MicroBob wrote:Hi Nick,
I don't have a Jenalab but I have used one shortly and had a very good impression from it. It has 25mm wide field optics which can be a big plus if you like and need it. A member of our group bought one new when they became cheaper due to production changes and he wouldn't have spend this much money on a new instrument if it were not exceptionally good.
I have no idea how good the price is - there are not many Jenalabs on the market.

Bob
Thanks Bob sounds encouraging, do you know if it has infinity corrected optics or 160mm ?

MicroBob

#5 Post by MicroBob » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:12 am

This is infinity optics.
You might be able to find more about this microscope here: https://www.mikroskop-online.de/Mikrosk ... riften.htm
The planachromats are said to have already quite good colour correction, more like planfluorites.
I use some Zeiss Jena instruments, but 2-3 generations older. I don't like the colour of the newer ones, luxury problem. :lol:

Nicksmith

#6 Post by Nicksmith » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:14 pm

Thanks Bob, I'll have a read, quality looks to be top tier from what I can gather.