turning the barrel

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
iconoclastica

turning the barrel

#1 Post by iconoclastica » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:13 pm

I notice that when mounted on a turret, the faces - i.e. the engravings with the magnification, N.A. etc - of the objectives do not all point an the same radial direction. I would ecpect them to look either outward or to the axis. So the position relative to the start of the thread is not constant and I wonder whether this means that the barrel is not fixed in its position but can be turned this or that way. If so, how would one achieve this (I am using Nikon objectives)?

If it is only a bit annoying now that I never know where to look for the face, it will change when I stick on the RFID labels to detect which objective is on. The labels must be placed on the outside to ensure minimal proximity with the reader. It wouldn't be nice if they'd cover the essential information of the objective.

PeteM

Re: turning the barrel

#2 Post by PeteM » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:07 am

Some of the better objectives have a rotating collar with the markings on them -- so they can be rotated for easier viewing. Some Nikon, Leitz, etc.

Olympus UPlan (infinity) objectives and turrets seem to have quality under enough control that objectives are not only very close to parfocal, but the markings are "clocked" to face out. Nikon's 60mm infinity seem to do the same thing.

But even for cheaper objectives, sitting on parfocal shims -- once you get used to a sequence, it's pretty easy to know what objective is next in line.

Where I get confused is deciding whether to have the objective powers increase clockwise or counter-clockwise. My personal habit, for scopes with a Zernicke type phase condenser, is to have the increasing powers and increasing annuli go the same direction (which varies from maker to maker).

iconoclastica

Re: turning the barrel

#3 Post by iconoclastica » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:45 am

Very recognisable confusion ;) The sequence is well known to me indeed, but not always where I am within that sequence. O well, if it can't be done, it can't be done. I'll devise labeled sleeves then, for both the RFID sticker and human readable labels.