AO Magni-Changer problem

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
geo_man

AO Magni-Changer problem

#1 Post by geo_man » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:09 pm

Hi. I'm baffled.

I just tried out a new (to me) AO Cycloptic that I bought because it has the more "desirable" "M" Magni-Changer. All works fine EXCEPT I can't get image alignment on magnification level "7" (assuming 10x eyepiece). The right eye image is consistently higher and slightly left.

I swapped it out with another Cycloptic and this is why I am confused. Everything works fine, except for magnification level "25" where the left eye image is up and left compared to right.

I realize that the 7 / 25 is the same "telescope" but why would 25 be in alignment on one scope and 7 on the other? I repeated this to make sure...

Any suggestions? I suspect result is to say that Magni-Changer "M" is bad.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

apochronaut

Re: AO Magni-Changer problem

#2 Post by apochronaut » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:52 pm

Each body is adjusted separately. The drum, theoretically has all the objectives in the same alignment and then the eyepiece tubes are tweaked. If you change drums the eyepiece tubes could be off a little, depending on how far the drums were distant in their alignment and the one with the worst mis-alignment will stand out.

When you changed the drum from one microscope to the next, the 7X collimation error was more or less corrected for by the eyepiece tube tweak of the second body but therefore introduced too much error when the objective is reversed.

If there is a small amount of error, your eyes compensate...you might get a slight sense of cross eyes when taking your eyes away but some of the objective settings might be close enough to seem o.k. and then one is just too much.

Nevertheless, it sounds like that objective in the drum needs to be adjusted.

geo_man

Re: AO Magni-Changer problem

#3 Post by geo_man » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:00 pm

Thank you. That makes sense. I'm planning to return it.

If it's not too involved, please share a few words on how one adjusts a magni-changer objective.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge!