Vickers M10a back from the death!

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
demirci

Vickers M10a back from the death!

#1 Post by demirci » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:39 pm

Hi all! I have recently bought on ebay an old and dead 70's Vickers M10a, after a few changes I managed to get the light running and most components are okish, I'm missing the head and eyepiece. Does anyone knows if the originals are still around? I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but I would love to have it looking like the original.

If not, do you guys know of any compatible heads? Ideally I'm looking for monocular, but I have seen some old binocular and trinocular heads, although I imagine that the focal length will be affected right?

MichaelG.

Re: Vickers M10a back from the death!

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:27 pm

Welcome, demirci
Where do you hail from ?

To my mind, the M10A angled monocular tube is an 'interesting' design, rather than a good one ... but I do applaud your desire to restore the instrument to its original specification.

The monocular uses surface-silvered mirrors, instead of the usual prism [presumably in the interests of cost and weight saving] and I fear that any example is likely to have suffered the ravages of time.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

demirci

#3 Post by demirci » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:26 am

Hi Michael,

I'm in Hertfordshire :D in the old town of Stevenage!

Thanks a lot for your feedback, the microscope was in terrible condition and yes, it will most likely never work like new, hence my reticence to spend a lot of money restoring it. Once thing that annoys me a lot is that they marked the serial number with a permanent marker on the side, so it is quite visible. Just in case you know and could give me any ideas: I tried removing it with acetone, but it looks like I will need something harder, to my knowledge, this kind of inks normally corrode the metallic paint and sets itself like a new coat, so I was thinking using a higher concentration of acetone, or perhaps sanding it completely and then repainting it, but that will be extending the project too long most likely.

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:26 pm

demirci wrote:Hi Michael,

Thanks a lot for your feedback, the microscope was in terrible condition and yes, it will most likely never work like new, hence my reticence to spend a lot of money restoring it. Once thing that annoys me a lot is that they marked the serial number with a permanent marker on the side, so it is quite visible. Just in case you know and could give me any ideas: I tried removing it with acetone, but it looks like I will need something harder, to my knowledge, this kind of inks normally corrode the metallic paint and sets itself like a new coat, so I was thinking using a higher concentration of acetone, or perhaps sanding it completely and then repainting it, but that will be extending the project too long most likely.
There is no such thing as "higher concentration of acetone". In contrast to alcohols, acetone is practically 100% pure. Nail polish removers are now based on other components, not acetone. They won't help if acetone failed. Turpentine and paint thinner might perhaps work since they are chemically different from acetone. But their vapours are nasty. There are various strong commercial chemical paint removers, and they might dissolve and disintegrate the paint (if it is paint at all) and eliminate the need for filing. But they might as well corrode and damage the base metal.
A close up photo of the problem may help to suggest a solution.
Last edited by Hobbyst46 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MicroBob

#5 Post by MicroBob » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:03 pm

Hi demirci,
permanent marker can be removed with ethanol. Some components of it might have sunk into the paint and a shadow of the number might remain.

With which name can we call you?

Bob

MichaelG.

#6 Post by MichaelG. » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:54 pm

demirci wrote:Hi Michael,

It's a small world!!
I lived in Stevenage from 1976 to 1988
Worked at Kodak, and then at BAe Army Weapons

Fond memories of the 'old town' include George Brown's shop, and 'TheYorkshire Grey'

I will send you a 'private message' regarding the Vickers M10A.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

MichaelG.

#7 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:26 pm

Calling Stevenage old-town:

Are you receiving me ??
Too many 'projects'