Schott light module on an Olympus and focal distance

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Avion

Schott light module on an Olympus and focal distance

#1 Post by Avion » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:19 pm

Hello
First time here :)
I bought myself an olympus stereo microscope, mostly for amateur watchmaking purposes.
I must say that it was done spontaneously without really thinking through all the requirements.
The Olympus I finally bought is in a reasonable condition for its age. Nevertheless I have two major issues:
A. The focal distance is slightly to short in order to have sufficient space for operating small tools such as screwdrivers. According to the model and lenses in the photo, is there anything that could be done under budget?
B. The Schott light compartment is further reducing precious space under the microscope, plus, the light source is VERY noisy. So I would like to ask how to safely remove it. It is not attached by the 2 screws that can be seen in the photos.

Thank you so much!
Attachments
20190308_222606.jpg
20190308_222606.jpg (24.48 KiB) Viewed 7863 times
20190308_222602.jpg
20190308_222602.jpg (37.07 KiB) Viewed 7863 times
20190308_222343.jpg
20190308_222343.jpg (27.95 KiB) Viewed 7863 times

PeteM

Re: Schott light module on an Olympus and focal distance

#2 Post by PeteM » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:44 am

A .5x or so auxiliary lens (goes at the bottom) will increase working distance -- if the 5x (with 10x eyepieces) magnification is enough for you. A .7x should also be available and might be a good compromise.

Poke around and you'll find a way to remove the ring light. The entire metal hood to which it is attached should unscrew; giving you better access to see how it's attached.

MichaelG.

#3 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:40 am

Adding to Pete's excellent advice ...
These documents should be useful:
http://www.alanwood.net/downloads/olymp ... ochure.pdf
http://www.alanwood.net/downloads/olymp ... ctions.pdf

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Avion

#4 Post by Avion » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:47 am

Thank you so much for your answers and for the links to the very helpful documents.
So aux lens of x0.5 seems to be a good solution.
I was looking on ebay and found a chineese supplier which sells the model 110AL0.5X wd200. On the catalog i see a different model name- vm-al0.5x wd=156mm. I am guessing that the part on ebay wouldn't fit. Right?

mrsonchus

#5 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:40 am

Hi, I have a stereo 'scope with which I use a screw-on x0.5 lens also, for the same reason (increased room beneath 'scope) when dissecting plant-parts. Remember though that your 'scope will need the ability to have the head moved up to about twice the distance it is now from the stage. With my 'scope this is no problem as it is 'pole-mounted' and has plenty of height to the pole to accommodate this requirement. Your 'scope though, having looked briefly at the documents kindly linked above, seems not to have the facility to do this?

Worth making certain, although this forum has lots of folk who will be able to advise you definitively on this consideration.

John B. :)
John B

Avion

#6 Post by Avion » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:00 pm

John, thank you for bringing this concern. Actually my microscope is mounted on a pole as well so I can tolerate the extra few milimeters. But thank you

Hobbyst46

#7 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:45 pm

My scope is an Olympus VMZ. Quite similar to the VMF. Magnification 1X-4X zoom. Ordinary stand.
The working distance to a thick specimen (say, a watch?) is about 9cm. At 1X mag.
At maximum elevation of the head, the working distance is about 14.5 cm.
My epi-illuminator is an inexpensive Chinese LED ring light, attached to the dovetail end of an (apparently custom made) circulat adapter, thread->dovetail. The adapter screws into the inner thread of the objective shield. The thickness of this illuminatior fixture is about 3cm. So the illuminator decreases the actual working space, vertically by 3cm, and it also bulges sideways, another limitation on dissection tools, screwdrivers etc.
FWIW.

MicroBob

#8 Post by MicroBob » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:42 am

On ebay you can find 12V LED-rings of different diameters for very little money. They are bright enough for low magnification work and are just 5mm thick. They sell under the name "angel eye".

Bob

Avion

#9 Post by Avion » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:14 pm

Thank you everyone
At the moment i'm struggling with taking the Schott illumination ring off. And I was hoping to get a feedback on the Chineese aux lenses models that I mentioned.
Have a nice week!

MichaelG.

#10 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:37 pm

Avion wrote:At the moment i'm struggling with taking the Schott illumination ring off.
Given that the ring looks to be a close fit on the tapered nose-cone, I think it reasonable to assume that there is a locating flange screwed into the thread that would normally take the auxilliary lens.
... perhaps something rather like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M42-M48-Thre ... 3149607023
A photograph taken 'up the spout' would probably be helpful.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

PeteM

#11 Post by PeteM » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:54 am

Avion wrote:Thank you everyone
At the moment i'm struggling with taking the Schott illumination ring off. And I was hoping to get a feedback on the Chineese aux lenses models that I mentioned.
Have a nice week!
Could be threaded on, with the threads somewhat galled? Hopefully it's not cross-threaded.

If it's threaded on -- I'd remove the entire "snout" (assuming THAT part screws off easilly enough) -- as suggested before. Then add some penetrating oil at the threads and heat. By heating mostly the outside thread you'll create a bit of space for the penetrating oil (Kroil, etc.) to work.

If rotating by hand doesn't work -- rubber or fabric strap wrenches work best for something like this. Since you don't care about the lamp, it could be held in something like a woodworking vise or even a "Quick Grip" clamp. Worst case, it could even be carefully cut off (hacksaw type blade in a coping saw - cut just barely to the threads - pry off).

As for a Chinese .5x stereo auxiliary lens - if the threads match up (measure carefully) it should work reasonably well. You'll know better once you get the lamp off.

Avion

#12 Post by Avion » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:59 pm

Thank you again everyone

I am not sure about the type of threading. It looks like it is simply screwed on the exterior threads of the dovetail (if I understand correctly, this model does have external threads). Please see images.

I decided not to fight it but instead, to look for the aux lens which will increase wd significantly. That way perhaps I could keep the light system. Do you think that the objective lens in the photo could fit?
It is not part of the VM series and have different wd than the models in the brochure
(http://www.alanwood.net/downloads/olymp ... ochure.pdf)
Attachments
Screenshot_20190316-163954.jpg
Screenshot_20190316-163954.jpg (12.19 KiB) Viewed 7650 times
20190316_163138.jpg
20190316_163138.jpg (39.97 KiB) Viewed 7650 times

MichaelG.

#13 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:33 pm

Avion wrote:Thank you again everyone

I am not sure about the type of threading. It looks like it is simply screwed on the exterior threads of the dovetail (if I understand correctly, this model does have external threads). Please see images.

I decided not to fight it but instead, to look for the aux lens which will increase wd significantly. That way perhaps I could keep the light system. Do you think that the objective lens in the photo could fit?
It is not part of the VM series and have different wd than the models in the brochure
(http://www.alanwood.net/downloads/olymp ... ochure.pdf)
Sorry, but I am rather bewildered by your description:

The photos that you originally posted show a VM VMF 1x
... but the brochure shows nothing with external threads.

What leads you to understand that yours does have external threads ?
... Has it been customised to take the ring-light; or is it simply a variant that is not shown in the brochure ?

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Avion

#14 Post by Avion » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:20 pm

My bad
You are completely right
There are no external threads
So this ring is help either by tapered fit or friction fit. If it tapered, then I don't have access to a retaining ring.
I would prefer to try and get an aux lens.
Does anyone have an idea if the one I mentioned before would fit please ?

Hobbyst46

#15 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:17 am

The thread of the objective shield (the conically shaped tube) of my VMZ microscope is internal. Most certainly the VMF scopes are the same. So an illuminator ring could be retained by means of set screw (one or more) that push into a dovetail->thread adapter.

Scarodactyl

#16 Post by Scarodactyl » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:31 am

I've never seen a ring light that wasn't secured by set screws (typically 3). Outside of a more specialty item I don't think you're likely to run into a different connection type.
You might want to measure the diameter of the threads that accept auxiliary objectives. There are quitr a few third party aux objectives that are quite decent and you might find one that fits. Hopefully someone knows about the specific olympus one.

Hobbyst46

#17 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:44 am

@Avion
I have just verified that the conical objective shield tube, termed "Objective shroud" in the Olympus manual, is the same on VMF and VMZ microscopes. The thread dimensions, however, are not specified in the instruction manual or the maintenace manual. Regretfully, I have no tools for measuring thread sizes so can't help further.

MichaelG.

#18 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:02 am

Scarodactyl wrote:I've never seen a ring light that wasn't secured by set screws (typically 3). Outside of a more specialty item I don't think you're likely to run into a different connection type.
Fair comment ... But it appears that Avion does have 'a more speciality item'
I have taken the liberty of re-posting the two relevant images:
Ring Light ... How is it attached ?
Ring Light ... How is it attached ?
IMG_2813.JPG (75.58 KiB) Viewed 7575 times
Ring Light ... What is that Number ?
Ring Light ... What is that Number ?
IMG_2814.JPG (31.6 KiB) Viewed 7575 times
I note a shiny countersunk screw-head [?] on the first image, and a possibly useful reference number on the second.

This appears to be a 'four spot' illuminator rather than a complete ring, but should still be very useful for Avion's purpose ... So it may be best to simply leave it undisturbed, and concentrate on silencing the light source.

MichaelG.

Edit: looking again at that "shiny countersunk screw-head [?] on the first image" ... it might be a "press stud" of some sort.
Too many 'projects'

MichaelG.

#19 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:35 pm

No guarantees, but: Have a look here
http://docplayer.net/56167013-Universal-ringlights.html

Page 16 of the brochure illustrates Adapter A08626 for Olympus
... this is how, I guess, your ring-light is mounted.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Hobbyst46

#20 Post by Hobbyst46 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:55 am

MichaelG. wrote:No guarantees, but: Have a look here
http://docplayer.net/56167013-Universal-ringlights.html

Page 16 of the brochure illustrates Adapter A08626 for Olympus
... this is how, I guess, your ring-light is mounted.

MichaelG.
The thread on the A08626 adapter is M48x0.75. This adapter should fit the SZ Olympus stereo.
There is another adapter A08628 with an M55 thread.
Yet I am confused, since the inner diameter of the Olympus VMF/VMZ objective shroud is 54-55mm. Or does the SZ shroud diameter differ from the VMF shorud diameter?