Mystery Wild eyepieces?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Rorschach

Mystery Wild eyepieces?

#1 Post by Rorschach » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:39 pm

As a part of a very large lot of optics, mainly eyepieces, I got a few like these. No markings, except for maker Wild. They are 23mm barrell, 59mm long and seem in focus on object farther away when you look through them. Closer objects are out of focus. Never seen these before :o

What are they?
Attachments
wild1.jpg
wild1.jpg (163.38 KiB) Viewed 2158 times
wild3.jpg
wild3.jpg (132.54 KiB) Viewed 2158 times
wild2.jpg
wild2.jpg (239.25 KiB) Viewed 2158 times

wporter

Re: Mystery Wild eyepieces?

#2 Post by wporter » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:52 pm

Possibly a centering telescope for phase work? Does the black part of the barrel rotate relative to the chrome barrel? If so, that would be the focus mechanism for a CT. If it doesn't turn there, you might drip a (very) tiny bit of solvent into the relieved area and let it sit, see if it loosens up. CTs usually have multistart helical threads in that area, might require cleaning & new grease, if that's what it is.

Rorschach

Re: Mystery Wild eyepieces?

#3 Post by Rorschach » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:04 pm

wporter wrote:Possibly a centering telescope for phase work? Does the black part of the barrel rotate relative to the chrome barrel? If so, that would be the focus mechanism for a CT. If it doesn't turn there, you might drip a (very) tiny bit of solvent into the relieved area and let it sit, see if it loosens up. CTs usually have multistart helical threads in that area, might require cleaning & new grease, if that's what it is.

I think you nailed it on the first shot :D The black part does not rotate and only the very topmost part of it moves actually. But that part slides quite freely, revealing an inner tube that extends quite a bit if pulled out.

The lot has four of these. I'll clean them, keep a couple and ebay the rest.