Help identifying microscope models

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
MikeBradley

Help identifying microscope models

#1 Post by MikeBradley » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:43 am

I have been asked by the widow of a friend (and microscopy prof.) to advise on donating his instruments to appropriate local educational establishments. There is an Axioskop and I think it is a model 50, a Nikon Diaphot and a CarlZeiss trinoc with Pol. My own experience is mostly with AO and Olympus equipment so these models are not familiar to me, I have no practical experience with fluor or DIC.
His instruments seem to be configured for use so I took a few preliminary images of the collection to help me gather background and formulate the right checks to perform as I assess the suitability of the microscopes. My first step though is to identify the models and the features they are equipped with. Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks
Michael
Attachments
CZ (6).jpg
CZ (6).jpg (89.4 KiB) Viewed 3451 times
CZ (3).jpg
CZ (3).jpg (108.97 KiB) Viewed 3451 times
Diaphot (2).jpg
Diaphot (2).jpg (74.04 KiB) Viewed 3451 times
Diaphot (1).jpg
Diaphot (1).jpg (74.2 KiB) Viewed 3451 times
Axio (1).jpg
Axio (1).jpg (93.83 KiB) Viewed 3451 times
Olympus BH2,
AO110
Carl Zeiss Standard WL
Canon 90D

MicroBob

Re: Help identifying microscope models

#2 Post by MicroBob » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:34 am

Hi Michael,
the first is a Zeiss Universal 1 with a special lighting backack, probably for fluorescence. Before giving this to someone unexperienced it should be checked that there is no mercury lamp in there. The can blind you with heavy UV light und explode after too many hours.
Generally it is a top research microscope but needs an expert and patience to use. "Educational purposes": I wouldn't give it to anybody who is not at least an experienced amateur microscopist. I know many amateur microscopists who would have this beast sitting on a table and wouldn't get into using it because they would be wary of that much technology and setup time.

If you think about a school it would be better to sell it and buy 4 to 8 basic used lab microscopes for the money.

Bob

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:56 am

Agree with everything MicroBob said with the added proviso that the 'school' in question be consulted as to their actual needs.

The donation will come from microscopes but does not necessarily have to be one.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

MikeBradley

#4 Post by MikeBradley » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:58 pm

Thanks to 75RR and MicroBob for identifying the CarlZeiss unit and the cautions about its use, this will all be very helpful in deciding its future.
Now I'm hoping for similar advice about the Diaphot and the Axioskop!
Michael
Olympus BH2,
AO110
Carl Zeiss Standard WL
Canon 90D

MicroBob

#5 Post by MicroBob » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:28 pm

Hi Michael,
your pictures leave room for improvement, to be honest.

What can be said is that the other instruments are probably also too good and too demanig in use for a normal school. To find out what they offer better pictures would be necessary. What use do you have in mind for the microscopes?

Probably the best suggestion you got came from 75RR: Ask them what they need!

Bob

MikeBradley

#6 Post by MikeBradley » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:14 pm

Bob, you identify my dilemma – trying to match sophisticated equipment with appropriate local recipients. The current owner had thought about local high schools, I had thought about a local ecology centre and a marine research foundation. We had’nt considered the idea of selling some or all of the collection to fund purchase of more practical equipment though, so that is certainly a consideration now.
Before finding possible new homes for the equipment though, I needed to know its potential and its specs. You have now confirmed my suspicion that all 3 models are sophisticated instruments and this will help me to decide who to talk to next. I’ll now inventory what is attached to each of the scopes (and the cupboard of accessories) and then I’ll be ready for the discussions with the potential recipients.
Thanks
Michael
Olympus BH2,
AO110
Carl Zeiss Standard WL
Canon 90D

PeteM

#7 Post by PeteM » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:55 am

Mike, I suspect your widow friend knows how much her husband enjoyed these microscopes and hopes to somehow honor his interest and legacy.?

One suggestion would be to contact a group of local teachers -- perhaps the husband's still-active colleagues -- and suggest they create a sort of competition among students (probably mostly college) to "win" one of the three microscopes. Students might give some sort of proposal of how they'd use it. Those teachers could select the top three "winners" and make sure the kids didn't get over their heads, particularly with the fluorescence model.

Any of those microscopes would be a wonder for a truly interested kid. If you want some ideas on how to set up such a competition (I've done something similar), feel free to PM me.

MikeBradley

#8 Post by MikeBradley » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:14 pm

Pete, thanks for the interesting idea. I'll add it to the list for when I meet again with the owner. Meantime I'll continue drawing up the inventory and testing them. Lots of work, lots of fun.
Thanks
Michael
Olympus BH2,
AO110
Carl Zeiss Standard WL
Canon 90D