I Should Have Known Better, Shame On Me...

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
nboyer

I Should Have Known Better, Shame On Me...

#1 Post by nboyer » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:06 pm

Well Good Folks, I bought a second scope to accommodate my Olympus CX22 LED. I won an eBay auction on a Zeiss Axiovert 25, advertised to be in "tested and fully functioning," condition and received it today. Well, I know you see it coming, it was not "...fully functioning." There are a few things wrong with this scope, and I hope that I can get some guidance on whether I should keep it or send it back.

The first, and biggest issue, was that the image did not converge in the eyepieces. What you saw in the left eyepiece was nothing what you saw in the right eyepiece. What apparently happened was the prism separated from the housing. I temporarily secured it with Scotch tape. While this did bring the image in the eyepieces into convergence, it is a temporary solution.

Second issue, the light source was not aligned over the objective. I was able to align it almost perfectly by adjusting the aperture diaphragm unit's stop screw.

Third issue, moving the stage is a little stiff. I'm certain it needs to be serviced - cleaned and lubricated.

It is otherwise a clean and not beaten up scope, but, did I pay a fair price of $1350 for it? I pride myself on being fair, but I don't take kind to getting ripped off. Any advice or guidance greatly appreciated. Cheers! -Norm
Attachments
IMG_3732.jpg
IMG_3732.jpg (398.96 KiB) Viewed 3975 times
IMG_3736.jpg
IMG_3736.jpg (433.54 KiB) Viewed 3993 times
Olympus CX22 LED
Zeiss Axiovert 25

PeteM

Re: I Should Have Known Better, Shame On Me...

#2 Post by PeteM » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:31 am

Sold Ebay listings can help you decide if the price is fair. Best to consult those before bidding.

Only serious problem seems to be the detached prism. If you paid top dollar, I'd be inclined to ask for either a return or compensation to have it properly serviced. Don't know that model and its objective complement to help you with fair market pricing.

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:56 am

One important question is whether it was broken before shipping or while shipping. If it was broken while shipping the question follows whether it was well padded in the box. Microscopes ar heavy and fragile at the same time and many people don't have the technical knowledge and fantasy to assemble proper packaging for this and forsee what is done to the parcels while being shipped. In Germany packaging has to be good enough for drops of 1m on concrete if I remember right. Then it is the question of whose risk is the shipping: Yours or the sellers? This may depend on your and the sellers status: Private person or business?

nboyer

#4 Post by nboyer » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:35 pm

Thanks Bob. The scope came in an oversized box that was not damaged. It was indeed well packed. But, who knows? In order for the prism to separate from the base (it has three dabs of glue holding it down), it would have had to suffer a jar of some sorts. Admittedly, I was surprised that there was not more securing the prism in place, would have expected better from Zeiss. I am considering using a hot glue gun to secure it if I keep the scope. I haven't yet contacted the seller as I was hoping to get some wisdom from the experienced members in the forum as to when I bother mentioning. If my purchase price was a fair price for the condition that it arrived in, then I will just deal with it. eBay does not show any Axiovert 25 sold recently so I really don't have a baseline on what is fair. I guess it is not a popular scope. Cheers! -Norm

MicroBob wrote:One important question is whether it was broken before shipping or while shipping. If it was broken while shipping the question follows whether it was well padded in the box. Microscopes ar heavy and fragile at the same time and many people don't have the technical knowledge and fantasy to assemble proper packaging for this and forsee what is done to the parcels while being shipped. In Germany packaging has to be good enough for drops of 1m on concrete if I remember right. Then it is the question of whose risk is the shipping: Yours or the sellers? This may depend on your and the sellers status: Private person or business?
Olympus CX22 LED
Zeiss Axiovert 25

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:06 pm

eBay does not show any Axiovert 25 sold recently so I really don't have a baseline on what is fair.
Here is one: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Ax ... 1&_fosrp=1
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

MicroBob

#6 Post by MicroBob » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:56 pm

Since you already have dismantled it there in no disadvantage in loosely sticking the prism in position and try if that is all that is needed.

A microscope is a fairly modular thing - but this only helps if you can get the needed spares. I have no idea whether it would make sense to keep the instrument at a reduced price and wait until the part turns up for a reasonabl price. Depends on the availability and price. Is the spare availble new?

nboyer

#7 Post by nboyer » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:00 pm

Thanks 75RR. I should have mentioned that I have the Axiovert 25C, which has the camera port on front. Cheers! -Norm
75RR wrote:
eBay does not show any Axiovert 25 sold recently so I really don't have a baseline on what is fair.
Here is one: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Ax ... 1&_fosrp=1
Olympus CX22 LED
Zeiss Axiovert 25

75RR

#8 Post by 75RR » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:27 pm

I should have mentioned that I have the Axiovert 25C, which has the camera port on front.
Had thought the listing did not appear in your browser. As you say no sign of a 25C in the last 3 months, the length of time sold listings appear for.

One possibility is to look at other Zeiss Axioscope models on the sold listings - might help to get an idea of what one should pay for an inverted Axioscope.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw ... +&_sacat=0
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

apochronaut

#9 Post by apochronaut » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:50 pm

One limitation to the possibility to returning it , and this depends on how sticky the seller is about such things, is that it is no longer in the same condition that it was when you received it. Technically, if the microscope is not as described, then you can send it back at the sellers expense. Once you have altered it though, if the seller wanted to push the envelope once they receive it back, they could make a claim that you have damaged it and get at least the return shipping fees refunded to them. Ebay has the right to extract the fees from your paypal account.

It is always best to document the damage, when something is received damaged. Dealing with miserly and or uncooperative sellers can be challenging and difficult.

nboyer

#10 Post by nboyer » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:25 pm

You are correct, apochronaut, it would not be in the same condition if I sent it back, it would be in better condition. I can certainly put it back to where it was :). But, I do hear what you are saying. I will need to call Zeiss tomorrow and give them a part number to see if there is and how much a prism assembly would cost. If I keep the scope, I just may take a hot glue gun and secure the prism to the base. Cheers! -Norm

apochronaut wrote:One limitation to the possibility to returning it , and this depends on how sticky the seller is about such things, is that it is no longer in the same condition that it was when you received it. Technically, if the microscope is not as described, then you can send it back at the sellers expense. Once you have altered it though, if the seller wanted to push the envelope once they receive it back, they could make a claim that you have damaged it and get at least the return shipping fees refunded to them. Ebay has the right to extract the fees from your paypal account.

It is always best to document the damage, when something is received damaged. Dealing with miserly and or uncooperative sellers can be challenging and difficult.
Olympus CX22 LED
Zeiss Axiovert 25