Weird Wild frankenscope--custom made body? I guess?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Scarodactyl

Weird Wild frankenscope--custom made body? I guess?

#1 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed May 01, 2019 8:10 pm

Hi everyone. I recently picked this weird scope up off of eBay. It hasn't ended up being what I was looking for so it's going to head right back, but before it does I wanted to document it a bit and show off what a weird thing it is.
It has an original Wild head, but that's the only bit that has any marking. The body is secured to the head by three set screws. It zooms from 2.3x-11.5x, but that magnification appears to include the 10x eyepieces (FoV is ~80mm to 17mm) which of course isn't standard. The body can be rotated which moves the objective up and down, adjusting working distance. Overall it feels quite well-made, but the zoom has gotten a bit weak (or maybe always was), happily zooming in (and continuing to zoom a little bit past the stop), but being reluctant to zoom out. It does hold its position fine though.
Unfortunately its magnification being a tenth of what I was looking for, among other things (like not fitting in any standard microscope mount) mean it's headed right back to the seller, but I did want to show some pictures and ask if anyone has seen its like before.