Leitz Ortholux fluorescence microscope

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Scarodactyl

Leitz Ortholux fluorescence microscope

#1 Post by Scarodactyl » Thu May 02, 2019 10:00 pm

I got this baby as part of an equipment pallet a couple weeks back (yeah I guess I'm buying pallets now--send help!). I am honestly not sure what to make of it, whether it's particularly useful in its current configuration or if it should just be parted out.
I think it's a Leitz orthoplan anyway [edit:thanks, it is an ortholux!] it just says Leitz on it. It has a bottom lamp controlled by an external controller which works fine, and an upper mercury arc lamp also with an external controller that does not seem to power on (which is fine by me to be honest, I don't need high pressure UV lamps in my life). And it's trinocular with an old SLR, also (you guessed it) with an external controller, with a standard leitz periplan and .32x reducer (am I wrong in thinking a setup for 35mm film would be easy to convert for a full frame camera?)
It also has four objectives, a 40x npl fluotar 160/0.17 (0.70), a 40x npl fluotar phaco fluorescenz 160/.17 (1.3 oel), a 100x fluotar oil (1.32-0.60 oel) and a Pv 170 10x (a .25) [as you would guess from the different tube length it is not parfocal with the other objectives).
There is a condenser holder but it has empty space inside, which I assume is not ideal to say the least.

Basically, I guess I'm trying to decide what to do with this thing. Obviously without a condenser and with the mercury lamp not working it isn't a ready-to-go unit. It's also kind of big and bulky, and I am trying to get back down to a sane level of microscope-having. But if it wouldn't be too hard to set up safely, and doesn't need too much work, then maybe...............
Last edited by Scarodactyl on Thu May 02, 2019 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrsonchus

Re: Leitz Orthoplan fluorescence microscope

#2 Post by mrsonchus » Thu May 02, 2019 10:09 pm

Hi, interesting 'scope - it's an Ortholux rather than an Orthoplan.
John B

Scarodactyl

Re: Leitz Orthoplan fluorescence microscope

#3 Post by Scarodactyl » Thu May 02, 2019 10:40 pm

Thanks! I know almost nothing about Leitz's lineup so that should help a lot in my searches (no wonder orthoplan wasn't getting me quite the right results).
Edit: now that I have the right search terms it looks like this isn't a terribly rare setup, so it wouldn't be much of an act of sacrilidge to break it up. I might offer it here as-is just in case anyone is interested but I am guessing it is not likely.

PeteM

Re: Leitz Ortholux fluorescence microscope

#4 Post by PeteM » Fri May 03, 2019 2:15 am

You might first try selling off the fluorescence bits separately on Ebay, which might have a more limited market and perhaps to someone who doesn't want to pay shipping on a whole microscope?

Add a couple missing bits and it's a nice scope - should make someone happy. Selling the objectives separately could also make sense.

Have to say, I've never had the courage to buy a pallet load of microscopes. Headline might read "Man dies from withering glare from long-suffering wife."

Scarodactyl

#5 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri May 03, 2019 2:19 am

Fortunately it was a very small pallet, and relatively inexpensive. Nothing we couldn't load by hand into the minivan. But it sets a dangerous precedent...

Hobbyst46

#6 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri May 03, 2019 5:55 am

It looks like a specifically configured for epi-fluorescence studies of cells, tissues etc. The true advantage of the 40X1.3 objective is in fluorescence, since due to the high NA it gathers a lot of light and still has a sensible WD. The objective serves as condenser as well. If the function of the 10X is only to locate regions of interest, in brightfield, a condenser is not essential. On the other hand, if the 10X is not exactly parfocal with the other objectives, it is no good. A low-mag parfocal objective is essential. Of course, for cell specimens, a parfocal phase contrast 10X objective (+condenser...) would have been better. The mercury arc is suitable for fluorescence if it works. Otherwise I would not keep it.

Scarodactyl

#7 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri May 03, 2019 7:19 am

That would make sense, though I assume the other two higher power objectives would have needed a condenser. Perhaps they weren't used much, and when stuff was getting packed or moved the condenser was out and got separated.
From some research it looks like the three higher power objectives have some value. The 10x is kind of weird in general. It's marked 170/- Pv 10: 1 A 0.25 E. Leitz Wetzlar. I am guessing it is an older objective that someone threw on at some point?
Anyway, I put the three objectives up on eBay, but I figure I'll put the rest of the scope up here in case someone is interested in taking on a project. Failing that, to the 'bay at a more normal price point I guess. Thanks for all the help everyone!

ChrisR

#8 Post by ChrisR » Fri May 03, 2019 8:25 am

If it takes the common "bath" shaped condenser, they do come along at low prices, around $30.
I also have a non-working power supply, and no bulb, for UV, (Nikon). I think the scare stories about the UV bulbs are rather over hyped; that would be my preferred way to go.

Surprisingly (to me), tungsten bulbs send out more UV than a 3W Nichia 365nm, so I suppose that's the economically sound option for a working scope.

Rather sadly, I feel, it may earn you more if you split it for parts.

zzffnn

#9 Post by zzffnn » Fri May 03, 2019 1:52 pm

The Pv 10x is a phase contrast objective meant to be used with Leitz Heine variable phase condenser, if I remember correctly. Phase objectives don't work well for fluorescence.