Olympus cable pin configuration for BX61/BX-UCB cables

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
erikwetterskog

Olympus cable pin configuration for BX61/BX-UCB cables

#1 Post by erikwetterskog » Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:13 pm

Hello,

Cables, cables, cables

I have a BX61 and purchased separetely a BX-UCB but neither one cabe with cables. The cables are "male" to "male", some sort of SCSI/centronics type (I'm hopeful I can find the correct header). I have difficulty even finding a picture of the original cables online, so eBay will not help here.

I am wondering if anyone who has a BX61 and a multimeter would be willing to check how these cables are wired (1-1 or if there are some twisted pairs). I may be able to locate cables from some local repair guys, but the outcome is very very uncertain. In that case, all that remains is to fashion both cables myself. Included below is the image of the back of the UCB. The number of PINs is double, so the cables are 50 and 36 pins respectively. Without the cables, the microscope will not come alive.

Cheers in advance!

https://ibb.co/f8KKd5Q
Nikon S-Ke - Old goodie
Olympus CX40 - Fluorescence [Selling]
Olympus BX61 - Phase contrast, DIC, fluorescence [Work-in-progress]

erikwetterskog

Re: Olympus cable pin configuration for BX61/BX-UCB cables

#2 Post by erikwetterskog » Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:45 pm

Hello,

This has turned into a mad search for the cables. Can anyone suggest a dealer that may have them or may know about their layout.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I'm sitting here with the sweetest brick on the planet.
Nikon S-Ke - Old goodie

Scoper

#3 Post by Scoper » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:24 pm

Have you contacted Olympus?

One of the reason for buying a scope of the Big Four is for post sale support.

Let us know it turns out and good luck

Scarodactyl

#4 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:04 pm

Scoper wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:24 pm
One of the reason for buying a scope of the Big Four is for post sale support.
Only if you buy new. You can't typically expect much from them as a secondhand buyer.

erikwetterskog

#5 Post by erikwetterskog » Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:17 pm

A small update.

I figured out that the cable is a male-male MDR (mini delta ribbon) cable. It’s probably patented by 3M and quite expensive, but can be had at Mouser, RS Components and Farnell. You can also buy knock-offs from Ali-Express, but they lack the latches to secure the cables properly.

I talked to the Swedish agent for Olympus Micro, who have dug a bit for me (ultra-friendly guy). What I know need to know is if the cable is a simple one-to-one or if Olympus have placed a tripmine in the design and twisted some of the pairs.

My man has forwarded the question to Olympus Germany, so I hope to get an answer. Hopefully soon!

I know a lot more about cables and connectors than when I started this project. I’m also building a stepper motor controller for my Prior table, I’ll post the result of this later.
Nikon S-Ke - Old goodie

erikwetterskog

#6 Post by erikwetterskog » Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:47 pm

It seems that Olympus Germany is not responding to the request. So I'm still looking for a friendly soul that owns this microscope.

Best regards,

Erik
Nikon S-Ke - Old goodie

erikwetterskog

#7 Post by erikwetterskog » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:22 am

I got some information after digging around on Facebook, asking lots of people.

The cables used are 1:1 MDR cables. They’re expensive but available online from several sources. For the BX61, you will need the 50 pin version (microscope frame, lamp, focus) and the 36 pin version (vertical illuminator, nosepiece).

Still waiting for the 50 pin cable, but I can confirm that the 36-pin cable works.

Hopefully this is the end of this. I will assemble a resource page on the BX61 once everything is settled.
Nikon S-Ke - Old goodie