Leitz ortholux nosepiece and stage repair

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
DrPhoxinus

Leitz ortholux nosepiece and stage repair

#1 Post by DrPhoxinus » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:46 pm

Well I saw an Ortholux and a charity website and saw by its serial number it was a later one that what I owned. This model had a field iris and a trinoc head. It had no objectives.

Well they shipped it in a box with a little brown paper, it was criminal, The head was shaken off. I had to redo and tighten the plate.

More troubling was the frozen nose piece. When I forced movement I wound out with a lot of little ball bearings.
Does anyone know how to disassemble one of these so I can put the bearings back?

The stage is a little loose in the x axis, maybe because the banging around in the box. What screws can be tighten to solve that or do I have to shim it somehow.

I just got a nosepiece from a guy on Poland but I would like to repair the old one.

The Polish one had a tube lens with a smaller glass than the old one which was marked 1.25 W, which I presume means wide. Anybody know about Leitz tube lenses?

Also the Periplan eyepieces had a pretty small FOV, I put in a pair of B & L and the image is better. Have people used B&L eyepieces on Leitz which good results?

Is there a chapter of Microscopes Anonymus?

Gerard WB8BDR

luxikon

Re: Leitz ortholux nosepiece and stage repair

#2 Post by luxikon » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:19 pm

Hello Gerard,

if you post your problem here (even in English): 'https://www.mikroskopie-forum.de/' you will surely get help. There's a lot of knowledge concentrated about the Ortholux.

DrPhoxinus

#3 Post by DrPhoxinus » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:41 pm

Thanks,

I will do that.

Gerard

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:47 pm

Small tips:
1) in Zeiss nosepieces, the central screw that holds the parts together has a reverse thread - I mean, to unscrew, it should be rotated clockwise. Possibly it is the same with Leitz.
2) The nosepiece should be dismantled over a large retainer, to collect falling tiny balls.
3) The balls can be placed in a stoppered jar under petrol-ether, white gasoline or similar fluid, to dissolve old grease.

mnmyco

#5 Post by mnmyco » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:16 am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QFTAQKkS1Ek

You can adjust the stage tension and all that. It has been a while since I worked on mine, but I did have to disassemble the entire stage mechanism. There are screws that I think are pretty obvious to adjust tension, but I recall that it was quite difficult to get to everything. Still, it is all contained in that box the stage is attached to. You can take the box off and work on it separately and test all the functions before reattaching it. Just make sure you are careful about the ball bearings and the brass shims that they rest in.

MNMYCO

MicroBob

#6 Post by MicroBob » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:03 am

Hi Gerard,
for reassembly of the nosepiece the balls can be stuck into a layer of grease so they don't move. I would first check the nosepiece for mechanical damage. It won't work if there is just a little dent in the wrong place.
The dampening of the stage movement always comes from the lubricants in the guides and controls. So if it moves too easy you will have to clean and re-lubricate it.
It is good to check the fine focus guides of the microscope for free and well-lubricated movement. Due to the mechanical advantage of the fine focus gear train it is possible to work with with badly lubricated ways for a while, but then it breaks completely.

Bob