Swift FM-31 clone from Bresser with phase contrast and long distance objectives

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
MicroBob

Swift FM-31 clone from Bresser with phase contrast and long distance objectives

#1 Post by MicroBob » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:55 pm

Hi together,

I just saw that Bresser is about to offer a clone of the Swift FM-31 with phase contrast and long distance objectives:
https://www.bresser.de/en/Microscopes-M ... scope.html

It is not the same as the clones that were offered here and there in the past. For an amateur this is a lot of money but I find it interesting that a new field microscope is on offer on this small and little cared for market. The last field microscope that came out was either the Yuran microscope or the Newton NM-1, at least 5 years ago. I can imagine that they might actually sell a lot of them as there is so little competition in this niche and still a certain demand.

Bob

75RR

Re: Swift FM-31 clone from Bresser with phase contrast and long distance objectives

#2 Post by 75RR » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:36 pm

Brunel is selling a similar one.

http://www.brunelmicroscopes.co.uk/handheld.html
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

MicroBob

Re: Swift FM-31 clone from Bresser with phase contrast and long distance objectives

#3 Post by MicroBob » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:32 pm

75RR wrote:Brunel is selling a similar one.

http://www.brunelmicroscopes.co.uk/handheld.html
This will be one of the older clones while the Bresser is of slightly different design. There was a review of the older clone, I think on micspace. It was not perfect but quite ok. The Swift itself was not perfect and after so much time there is certainly room for improvement.

MicroBob

#4 Post by MicroBob » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:43 pm

With portable microscopes it is as much the instrument as the whole package that counts. A good sturdy case with compartments for accessories and good padding is not easy to design and it is often the point were instruments are let down:

Zeiss Jena and Lomo and 1930s Zeiss-based russian field mic: You have to remove objectives for storage!
Meopta: Lots of space under the hood but no compartments like the Wild M11 offers
Swift FM-31: Nice case but not much protection and no storage compartments at all, not even for a battery light
Zeiss-Winkel: No storage compartments, no padding, unnecessary dismantling

Scarodactyl

#5 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:28 pm

I have carved foam to fit instruments snugly in pelican cases before. I plan to do the same when I assemble a portable scope, though that will be a stereo so not very comparable. I wonder if that would be practical here or just too much work to get right?
Last edited by Scarodactyl on Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MicroBob

#6 Post by MicroBob » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:18 am

For travel purposes I would prefer a box that hold microscope, rechargable battery lighting, slides and cover slips, pinceps and pipettes, a couple of small bottles with mountants etc. . And I would like it to be somewhat organized so nothing falls out when I remove the microscope. Separation in two boxes would be an idea so fluids can't damage the instrument. And these are no easy requirements, especially since everybody has his own...

Does one of you travel by air with a microscope? A heavy microscope might give trouble if you would try to take it into the cabin with you.

Bob