ZEISS DIC "old" - refurbishing the INKO / phase condenser

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
MicroBob

ZEISS DIC "old" - refurbishing the INKO / phase condenser

#1 Post by MicroBob » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:49 am

Hi together,
I have just refurbished two ZEISS DIC "old" - refurbishing the INKO / phase condensers and would like to share my experiences with you.
The pictures show the fit and alignment of the components and make it easiert to reassemble the thing.
In my case the central brass bearings were gummed up from old grease but the condenser apertures worked fine. I wouldn't touch these if not necessary.
For reassembly you have to align the parts in the right way as shown in the pictures.
Lightly grease the aperture ring (chrome), the central bearings, the positioning ball and spring and the notches were the ball locks into.

The block with the condenser lens can be pulled of to the side after removing two screws. But this is only possible after removing the central screm that holds the top cover and lifting the top cover up from the pin next to the screw.

This is a really nice piece of kit, made with little regard to the production cost.

This process also fits to the similar looking Zeiss phase condenser.

Be careful with the phase apertures. They are made from painted glass. The paint resists a light cleaning with mineral spirit, but I would avois it if possible. Often this paint is already flaked and you have think about a suitable repair.

Bob
Attachments
1 klein.jpg
1 klein.jpg (126.19 KiB) Viewed 2326 times
2 klein.jpg
2 klein.jpg (154.04 KiB) Viewed 2326 times
3 klein.jpg
3 klein.jpg (170.2 KiB) Viewed 2326 times
4 klein.jpg
4 klein.jpg (185.27 KiB) Viewed 2326 times
5 klein.jpg
5 klein.jpg (160.57 KiB) Viewed 2326 times

MicroBob

Re: ZEISS DIC "old" - refurbishing the INKO / phase condenser

#2 Post by MicroBob » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:49 am

Attachments
6 klein.jpg
6 klein.jpg (139.69 KiB) Viewed 2324 times
7 klein.jpg
7 klein.jpg (133.51 KiB) Viewed 2324 times

75RR

Re: ZEISS DIC "old" - refurbishing the INKO / phase condenser

#3 Post by 75RR » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:03 am

Nice sequence of images. I find it helps to grease the ball bearing so it stays on the spring during assembly.

"wine production drops worldwide by five percent" thanks for the warning, will stock up! ;)
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)