Nikon Fluor objectives on a Leitz stand

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
einman

Re: Nikon Fluor objectives on a Leitz stand

#31 Post by einman » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:54 am

I have used Olympus splan objectives and they do work. However they also tend to be higher priced than the Nikons. I am always looking for the best value for my money. Although if a good Splan objective pops up I will look at it, especially given the Splans have a wider FOV.

einman

#32 Post by einman » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:48 pm

So I have looked at the Nikon 20X/0.75 Fluor vs the Leitz Pl Fluotar 25X/0.60 objective. The Nikon has about a 25% larger FOV which corresponds well to the lower magnification. Resolution of the Nikon objective was slightly better than the Leitz although very close. I stared at multiple Diatoms for about 30 minutes. The image was brighter when using the Nikon, no doubt in part due to the lower magnification.

All in all the Nikon performed admirably with the Leitz eyepieces. I still have yet to look at the Leitz 25X Oil immersion objective. I expect to do that tonight perhaps.

As mentioned my purpose was to determine if I could use Nikon objectives as less expensive alternatives to Leitz objectives. I have previously looked at Olympus objectives and found them to perform quite well also. However, Olympus objectives tend to be a bit pricey also.

This particular Nikon Fluor objective only cost $90, quite a bargain actually.

When rotating the turret to the Nikon Objective it did require some minor adjustments in focusing so it was not parfocal with my other Leitz objectives, but the difference was not significant and did not present any potential slide contact. Given the working distance of both objectives I would not have expected that anyway.

More to come.

viktor j nilsson

#33 Post by viktor j nilsson » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:00 pm

They can be pretty good value for sure, I got my set of 10x 0.50, 20x 0.75 and 40x 0.85 Nikon Fluor's for $250 (originally $300, but the seller knocked off $50 because the correction collar on the 40x was stuck, which I have since fixed). I also have the 40x 1.30 oil, but paid a bit more for it. All give a very very clean and super bright image. The 40x 1.30 is stellar. They aren't designated as Plan, but give a perfectly fine image nearly all the way to the edge of the field when using CFW 10x eyepieces. Quite underrated, me thinks.

einman

#34 Post by einman » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:12 am

I agree totally!

einman

#35 Post by einman » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:43 am

Just keeping this thread open. I have been traveling but hope to post some additional comments regarding the Leitz oil immersion objective.

viktor j nilsson

#36 Post by viktor j nilsson » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:08 pm

einman wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:43 am
Just keeping this thread open. I have been traveling but hope to post some additional comments regarding the Leitz oil immersion objective.
Did you ever get round to writing down your experiences? I recently helped a friend buy a microscope, and he ended up with a Diaplan with PL Fluotars. This caused me to rediscover this old thread. I'm still very curious to hear what you found!

Btw, I would imagine that the Nikon Fluor objectives perform quite bad outside ~20mm FN, but I have never been able to test that myself. How do you like your 20x Fluor in that respect?

einman

#37 Post by einman » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:52 am

Hey Viktor,
I have not done much experimenting with objectives lately. My interests are many spread across various disciplines! Microscopy, using Compound scopes, tends to suffer in favor of stereo scopes. I favor entomology in the summers- as well as inline skating. Although COVID put a kabosh on my participating in Marathons.

I did compare the Leitz 25X/0.60 PL Fluotar to the Nikon Fluor 20x/0.75 and found the Nikon to be directionally better in terms of resolution although a bit poorer in terms of color/contrast. Although the difference in resolution probably would not justify purchasing the Nikon objective, in addition to the Leitz. Plus the Nikon is not parfocal with the Leitz objectives, if you were mixing objectives. I did not make a direct comparison in terms of fov due to the Leitz being a 25x vs the NIKON 20X. Nor did I look closely at resolution to the extremes of the FOV.

The quality of the Nikon Fluro 40x/1.30 oil immersion objective is superb! The Leitz 63x/1.3 oil objective is beautiful as well. I recently purchased another Klaus Kemp diatom test slide as my original was damaged. I plan on making some more specific comments and hope to have my camera system back up as it was being used for other projects. I do not generally like to use pictures to compare objective performance as it is so operator dependent.

I plan on looking at the oil objectives again with the K Klemp slide. I will see if I can make any conclusions regarding FOV and how planar the objectives are.

I did make some quick comparisons between the Leitz 63X/0.90 NPL fluotar (a rather expensive objective) vs the Leitz 63X/0.85 Fluotar. Take a look back at past comments regarding objectives Apo vs Fluor and with collars vs those without. The NPL Fluotar is superb. Resolution is definitely better than the non collared 63x/0.85 fluotar, as you would expect, but again not to the point of justifying the cost differential, unless you simply have the funds freely available. To get the optimal performance from the NPL Fluotar 63x/0.90 you have to insure the collar is properly adjusted. Once adjusted the superior performance is readily apparent but then you have to ask yourself was it worth the money and time. If you want that extra resolution you could move from a dry to an oil immersion objective for less money!