Optiphot nose piece question

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Sauerkraut

Optiphot nose piece question

#1 Post by Sauerkraut » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:01 pm

The original nosepiece on the phase contrast Optiphot has optics in it in addition to having a spring loaded body part. I bought a second Optiphot for parts and that nosepiece is skinnier with no glass (image 1 below). The ones listed on eBay are typically like the latter - no glass. They look different mounted up, as far as where the unused objectives are parked.

What's the difference from a functional standpoint, optics vs none?
Attachments
Turret_no_optics.jpg
Turret_no_optics.jpg (149.39 KiB) Viewed 5762 times
Turret_with_optics.jpg
Turret_with_optics.jpg (155.48 KiB) Viewed 5762 times

PeteM

Re: Optiphot nose piece question

#2 Post by PeteM » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:01 am

In the case of Olympus, the reverse nosepiece puts the objectives a bit further away - requiring a small amount of correction. Pretty sure it's the same with Nikon Optiphot. Reverse nosepiece: small correction lens comes along for the ride.

Functionally, the reverse nosepiece is a bit easier to get slides quickly on and off the stage (more clearance). The regular nosepiece avoids an extra lens. With the lens clean and undamaged, optically equivalent.

Sauerkraut

#3 Post by Sauerkraut » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:10 pm

Once again, thank you PeteM for your expertise. I would not have guessed that was the reason.

photomicro

#4 Post by photomicro » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:23 pm

I was most interested in this post, as I have an Optiphot 1 and a Labophot 2.

The former has a nosepiece like the one illustrated, with no extra lens, and having the objectives facing towards the user.

However, the Labophot 2 nosepiece has them facing away, which as Pete says, is much more convenient. But...there is no extra lens in the nosepiece.

As I understand it, the metal plate that takes the dovetail, and a screw that the V-notch on the nosepiece goes in, is reversed. What is interesting is that it is far harder to change this nosepiece, as it has to slide out backwards, and in from behind too.

Also intriguing, is that the stand illustrated has a limb part that takes the nosepiece that is also quite different to my optiphot. I think this may also have something to do with whether it can take the intermediate part for DIC, but I will leave others with more knowledge on this to comment.

Mike

PeteM

#5 Post by PeteM » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:47 pm

Mike - be interested to see a photo of your nosepiece. Perhaps it sits closer to the head? Perhaps it's meant for 210mm objectives and an epi head? Or??

photomicro

#6 Post by photomicro » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:43 pm

Hi Pete, late now, but with daylight, will show the two nosepieces and the head of my Optiphot.

Mike

photomicro

#7 Post by photomicro » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:21 am

As requested/promised, photos of my nosepieces and the optiphot limb/head detail mentioned in earlier reply.

My Optiphot 1 limb/head where the nosepiece fits. This is not the same as that shown earlier in the topic.
My Optiphot 1 limb/head where the nosepiece fits. This is not the same as that shown earlier in the topic.
DSC05571.jpg (75.48 KiB) Viewed 5663 times
Labophot 2 nosepiece, dovetail side. objectives face backwards.
Labophot 2 nosepiece, dovetail side. objectives face backwards.
DSC05570.jpg (208.38 KiB) Viewed 5663 times
Labophot 2 nosepiece, thread side. objectives face backwards.
Labophot 2 nosepiece, thread side. objectives face backwards.
DSC05568.jpg (225.68 KiB) Viewed 5663 times
Two of my Optiphot 1 nosepieces, showing both sides. Objectives face forwards.
Two of my Optiphot 1 nosepieces, showing both sides. Objectives face forwards.
DSC05565.jpg (130.09 KiB) Viewed 5663 times

Hobbyst46

#8 Post by Hobbyst46 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:38 am

This week I saw an Optiphot 1 , the nosepiece has forward-pointing objectives (towards the user, not the arm) and there is no lens in it.

PeteM

#9 Post by PeteM » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:45 am

Mike - I'm wondering if there is a supplemental lens in your Labophot 2 stand, instead of the nosepiece??

I'm pretty sure the various Optiphot 1 & 2 and Labophot 1 & 2 heads are interchangeable. One exception being an early infinity head used on some wafer inspection versions of the Optiphot 66,100, etc.. So, if there is a significant distance change from the objective shoulder (on the nosepiece) to the stand dovetail (where the head mates), one would assume that:

1) The shortest distance case would be clear through - no compensating lenses as is apparently the case on your Optiphot 1.
2) The longer distance cases (e.g. reversed nosepieces) would require a supplemental lens of very low -power to either get things back to 1.0 mag or bump them up to something like 1.25x as happens with some intermediate adapters This is apparently the case with Heather's reversed nosepiece (the extra lens), but not your example. So, maybe a lens in the stand, below where the head fits?? Or???

Might be interesting to use a graduated slide and see if both your Nikon microscopes have "true" magnification.

abednego1995

#10 Post by abednego1995 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:51 am

That reverse revolver adapter is a late addition to the original Optiphot.

Though the revolver is reversed, there's no supplemental lenses (neither in the revolver, nor the stand limb) in the Optiphot2,and Labophot2 due to a redesigned thinner limb compared to the original Optiphot. Thus no additional magnification regardless of revolver heading. (Both Labophots, 1 and 2 don't offer removable revolvers anyway. The Optiphot-2 though offers a option to switch between foward and reverse revolver positions by removing the head seat plate and reversing it.)

P.S. probably some have seen a seemingly plain Optiphot revolver with a lens in it, but that's for the Diaphot TMD. It's there to make infinity space behind the revolver, so it will not work with Optiphots.

Cheers,
John

PeteM

#11 Post by PeteM » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:19 am

Thanks, John.

norilabs

#12 Post by norilabs » Wed May 13, 2020 9:48 am

photomicro wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:21 am
As requested/promised, photos of my nosepieces and the optiphot limb/head detail mentioned in earlier reply.

DSC05571.jpg

DSC05570.jpg

DSC05568.jpg

DSC05565.jpg
HOW DO YOU REMOVE COMPLETELY THE NOSEPIECE AS ILLUSTRATED ON THE FIRST PICTURE!? I’m on a cleaning spree of my Labophot & I’ve never been able to remove it! :(

norilabs

#13 Post by norilabs » Wed May 13, 2020 9:58 am

Sauerkraut wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:01 pm
The original nosepiece on the phase contrast Optiphot has optics in it in addition to having a spring loaded body part. I bought a second Optiphot for parts and that nosepiece is skinnier with no glass (image 1 below). The ones listed on eBay are typically like the latter - no glass. They look different mounted up, as far as where the unused objectives are parked.

What's the difference from a functional standpoint, optics vs none?
My Labophot nosepiece looks as your example of "turret_with_optics" image, but I have no clue how to take it apart! Help please... :'(

photomicro

#14 Post by photomicro » Wed May 13, 2020 10:43 am

norilabs wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 9:48 am
photomicro wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:21 am

DSC05571.jpg

DSC05570.jpg

DSC05568.jpg

DSC05565.jpg
HOW DO YOU REMOVE COMPLETELY THE NOSEPIECE AS ILLUSTRATED ON THE FIRST PICTURE!? I’m on a cleaning spree of my Labophot & I’ve never been able to remove it! :(
Loosen the clamping screw shown on the left, and slide the nosepiece out.