Zeiss condenser Help

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
rs6000

Zeiss condenser Help

#1 Post by rs6000 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:14 am

Hello All I have been trying to get a POl microscope setup and recently purchased a what was described as a pol condenser but which does not seem to really work, So I dont dont really know what I have?
Has diffuse light output from the frosted white top lens as can be seen in the photo
I removed the back with a spanner tool and a small frosted lens combined with a blue filter came out both about 8mm Dia.
any help iding this part would be helpful as I have already scoured all the old zeiss catalogs and can't place it.

Cheers Jeff
Attachments
condensorZ.jpg
condensorZ.jpg (44.24 KiB) Viewed 2780 times
condensorp.jpg
condensorp.jpg (80.86 KiB) Viewed 2780 times

mnmyco

Re: Zeiss condenser Help

#2 Post by mnmyco » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:20 am

That looks like a part of the lighting system beneath a condenser.

rs6000

#3 Post by rs6000 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:50 pm

This unit has frosted optics in it and does not transmit much light though it does have a matching dovetail to to condensor I already own so mounting it was not a problem
but it not usable can't focus!

BTW the little cap on to does come of and it is s polarized filter very small 5mm or so

MicroBob

#4 Post by MicroBob » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:35 pm

Hi Jeff,
that is the upper part of the Zeiss Lucigen illuminator fpr the Zeiss Standard RA. This was a simplified illuminator that could support objectives up to the 100:1 with not too much compromise but was easy to set up. It was intended for basic laboratory routine work. Later this role in the line up of Zeiss West was filled by the Zeiss Standard KF2 with a different, but still simplified illuminator. There was a better bicycle bulb in the Lucigen illuminator. I got mine as a by-catch and have't had time to take a closer look at it.

Bob
Attachments
Zeiss Lucigen.jpg
Zeiss Lucigen.jpg (217.64 KiB) Viewed 2740 times