AO Stereoscope

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Dale

AO Stereoscope

#1 Post by Dale » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:49 am

Can anyone tell me the model of this scope 121587374828 ? (ebay id)
I have queried the seller about some details, but I'm not sure if they are
capable of answering. Like what model Magna Changer does it have, the J K or M.
It's the beginners corner right, so here goes. If it has a 10X ocular what determines
its magnification, those numbers on the knob? They are 10 15 20 25, so the actual
magnification is 100x to 250x? I just thought that stereoscopes had far lower magnification.
Is there an objective?
Lastly, would anyone think a Bausch & Lombe 10X ocular better than an AO 15X?
I'm going back to XMission and Google for more info, but it's like pulling cilia from a water flea!
Dale
B&L Stereozoom 4. Nikon E600. AO Biostar 1820.

rnabholz

Re: AO Stereoscope

#2 Post by rnabholz » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:25 am

Hi Dale,

The mag numbers on the dial are the total magnification, unlike with a compound microscope, you don't multiply that number times the eyepiece magnification.

I would ask the seller to provide you a picture of magna changer dial, that will tell you which model it is.

Regarding the B&L eyepieces, they were known for quality products, so I would suspect there would be little observable difference in quality. As to whether 10 or 15x would be better, that probably brings us back to question one. In the end it is about the magnification that is best suited to your purpose. You could always buy another set of eyepieces or even one of the accessory screw on auxiliary for the objective. There are 2x, 2/3rdx and 1/2x I believe.

Hope this helps

Rod
Last edited by rnabholz on Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dale

#3 Post by Dale » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:09 am

The first paragraph confuses me. If the numbers on the changer dial are the total, and you don't multiply
with the oculars power, then how would a 15X do anything? Are the numbers on the dial only accurate if you
use the 10X, and does the dial have a different scale for other oculars? I really need a photo of that dial.
I tried to get a comparable model in the Amscope lineup, their power was 24-40-80. I have an A-10, so
I am very well aware of build quality, but only 25X, not sure if I could live with that.
Dale.
EDIT
I just got an answer from the seller. The focusing is really really hard, the changer does not rotate, and the
images look terrible. Thanked him for his honesty.

rnabholz

#4 Post by rnabholz » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:28 am

Glad you got your answer.

I went downstairs and shot the photo below for you.

As you can see, the dial accommodates multiple ocular and auxiliary lens scenarios.

10x and 15x oculars, and those same oculars with a 2x auxiliary lens mounted. Just find your combo and follow the appropriate circle to get your magnification options.

Hope this helps

Rod
Attachments
magnadial.jpg
magnadial.jpg (128.71 KiB) Viewed 3089 times

Dale

#5 Post by Dale » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:34 am

A picture is worth a thousand words. Thank you very much. You'll think I'm crazy but I saw
this 281667312259 on ebay. I think I could build an arm or mount for it. The 5 series has
a great reputation. 4 hours on ebay, I'm bushed, but thanks again for that awesome photo, may just use
it for wallpaper :)
Dale