Long WD-objectives (160 mm) for Zeiss standard stand

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
erikwetterskog

Long WD-objectives (160 mm) for Zeiss standard stand

#1 Post by erikwetterskog » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:05 am

I work at a Science Education Center in Sweden. As I wrote in a previous thread (se below ) I wanted a metallurgical microscope to show some microfabricated devices in a school program with a "build your own computer"-theme for 10-13 year olds. I posted a thread previously about the camera system, and now I have settled on an afocal solution, see thread below. (I will mount the C-mount camera directly on the eyepieces, with an adapter).

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7372

The microscope I managed to get ahold of is busted up Zeiss inverted standard metallurgical microscope that I managed to get ahold from the university, and it has a standard set of (160) EPI-plan objectives (4 (0.1 D = 0), 8 (0.2 D = 0), 16 (0.35 D = 0), 40(0.85 D = 0), (0.95 D = 0) 80x) and KPL8x eyepieces. I have bought a LED-kit from retrodiode, so the illumination is sorted out.

The goal of this microscope classrom demo is 2-fold.

1) Image demo some microchip architechture. This is OK! I will use some polarizers to enhance the contrast, like suggested by the friendly forum people.

2) Show pits in CD-rom and talk about computer memory. (like in this link: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 5de000d07a)

This is where I am stuck now. The working distance of the 40x and 80x objectives are too short to image the aluminum film on through the ca 1mm CD-disc. It's pretty frustrating, I have previously managed to do this with ease at my old institution, using a vintage Leitz Ortholux. But with the current setup, I cannot manage because the too short WD of the objectives. I really want to show a live image in the classroom demonstration, so just showing still images wont do it!

So my questions are:

1) How do I find out the WDs of my currently objectives? Is there a good resource for this?

2) Can you suggest some suitable, yet affordable objectives suitable for my Zeiss stand. I'm guessing I need a 40x or upwards EPI-objective to image the CD-rom microstructure, but a sufficiently long WD to get trough the plastic. Would EPI-plan HD series work?

What are my options here?
Nikon S-Ke - Old goodie
Olympus CX40 - Fluorescence [Selling]
Olympus BX61 - Phase contrast, DIC, fluorescence [Work-in-progress]

75RR

Re: Long WD-objectives (160 mm) for Zeiss standard stand

#2 Post by 75RR » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:38 am

This might help

Zeiss Optical Systems brochure: http://www.science-info.net/docs/zeiss/ ... ystems.pdf
Attachments
Zeiss Optical Systems.png
Zeiss Optical Systems.png (358.03 KiB) Viewed 2674 times
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Hobbyst46

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:20 am

Rhe best source for old Zeiss stuff is the brochure "Zeiss Optical System". It used to be freely available from the web Zeiss Archives.
Unforetunately the web site has been rennovated such that old Zeiss manuals and brochure are not freely downloadable.
I have searched that file and the only "perhaps not very rare" 40X objective (IMO) that I found is in the following screen capture.
Nr 460716, which has a WD>1mm. (talking about 45mm parfocal objectives!):
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (152.99 KiB) Viewed 2668 times

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:22 am

Looks like 75RR found a better source for the old Zeiss parts - Thanks 75RR!