New member: need Ortholux help please!

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
dlthomas

New member: need Ortholux help please!

#1 Post by dlthomas » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:13 pm

Good morning everybody! I have loved microscopy since I was 15 and I subsequently became a Biology Professor. I work at a community college in Memphis, Tn. I recently became a lower budget collector of a few vintage black enamel Leitz scopes (all SM level). I JUST GOT an Ortholux from Ebay and it is missing several vital components and the light will not work (it was supposed to and seller does not accept returns). I will need help from experts getting this thing fixed up-I wanted to use it for photography. Here are my problems:

1. There is no condenser or condenser holder. I HAVE a Berek condenser on another SM lux scope but have no clue as to how ANY condenser attaches to this ortholux.
2. The objectives are a mismatched collection that I do no think are original, but I have objectives from other scopes with 170 tube that I could swap on if that will work.
3. The illumination mirror and other components of the stand BASE are missing.
4. The scope has one transformer and light but it will not work (and was supposed to) and I have never seen/handled anything but a basic substage teaching level illuminator.
5. I have no idea how to adapt the existing trinocular head for camera use.

I would appreciate any and all advice and would love to connect with other Orthodox and Leitz enthusiasts. Thank you! I will post photos soon.

Aslan

Re: New member: need Ortholux help please!

#2 Post by Aslan » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:23 pm

Hi dlthomas, I have seen the condenser holders for sale on ebay:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/LEITZ-GERMANY-C ... Sw87JcQ-pT

The mismatched set is common but again, ebay often has these objectives for sale. Patience is your friend if you want a good deal

I would need to see a photo of the trinocular to get a better idea of what your problem is. I suspect you are missing the photo eyepiece attachment. To this you would attach a T adapter for the camera of your choice.

I can't really help you with the transformer other than to suggest that you should check to see if there is a voltage across the terminals. If there is the bulb might have a broken filament.

I have not seen the base mirrors for sale on ebay so I don't know how common they are.
Spenser 58 convertible microscope

geo_man

#3 Post by geo_man » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:23 pm

Hi. Just a comment regarding "the light will not work (it was supposed to and seller does not accept returns)". ebay has policies to protect the buyer against inaccurate listings. You can attempt to work out a fair resolution with the seller or ask ebay to step in and arbitrate.

microb

#4 Post by microb » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:26 pm

MICROSCOPE PART LEITZ GERMANY ORTHOLUX II ILLUMINATOR +IRIS

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/MICROSCOPE-PART ... SwyQtV7HJH

microb

#5 Post by microb » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:27 pm

You know for the price people sell the mirror for, you could get another stand for parts:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Leitz-Ortholux- ... SwMQpc9W0M

dlthomas

#6 Post by dlthomas » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:10 am

THANK you all for your comments! I did get a whole second stand with the base optics for fairly cheap. Also the condenser holder. I fixed the light source-the shipping may have loosened a connector in the lamp. All is well except knowing how to use the trinocular tube. I'm searching for old posts about this.

PrecisionInstruments

#7 Post by PrecisionInstruments » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:29 am

Is it the Ortholux I series microscope? If so, to remove the binocular head you have to push the silver lever on the right hand side at the top of main microscope limb in, then slide the binocular upwards. It’s on a dove tail.
I have a headache, For which the future’s made